Author Topic: Rear lights...  (Read 3312 times)

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
Rear lights...
« on: September 15, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »
OK, this is a multi-part question, and I apologize in advance if this has been well-covered elsewhere, just figure it's easier to ask all at once and get answers from those that know  :)

So I have a 52 HJ, and when we bought it (many years ago now...) the electrical system was... iffy.  As in, a lot of the wiring had been partially-redone but never completed, and as such a number of things weren't hooked up.  I'm wondering, with regard to the taillights on the fins and the two smaller lights down by the trunk lid, what are each of those sets intended to do?  I.E., are the fin-mounted lights the brake lights and the smaller lights supposed to be back-up lights, or taillights for when the headlights are on, or...?  It's been my understanding that the HJs didn't come standard with blinkers (though mine does have an aftermarket, and by all appearances period-correct, blinker setup) so I guess I'm just trying to sort out what the original purpose was.

Sub-question related to the small lights by the trunk lid:  Mine currently has red plastic lenses.  I've seen many a picture of HJs sporting small K-logo covers (similar to the horn buttons, to my mind)  Are those actual lenses?  Or are they just dummy plates that don't actually illuminate?

Thanks in advance, and also apologies in advance to whoever answers my questions, as it may well lead to more questions  ;D

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rear lights...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
Welcome to Henry J land. The tail fin lights on the '52 were the only ones included/needed originally. One problem you will find with them is the four bolts that fasten them also provide the ground and since they are cheap (it is a Henry J after all) they often corrode due to the rear wheels sloshing water/slush etc. on them, they no longer ground well. I removed the tail light bodies on my '53 and cleaned the surfaces and as an added precaution, ran a ground wire from one of them down to the frame to provide a better ground. Those lights provide tail, stop and, if  so equipped, signal lights. If your car has round red lenses in those other holes that's typical, but not original, as the 'K' emblems used to fill the holes where the tail lights mounted on the earlier cars were cheap and hollow which meant they filled with moisture and rusted out in short order. You see very few originals with them intact, even back in the early 60s they were already impossible  to find so people often put reflectors, after-market backup lights, or another set of '51 Henry J tail lights in the holes to fill them. That's likely what happened with yours.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:57:09 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Welcome to Henry J land. The tail fin lights on the '52 were the only ones included/needed originally. One problem you will find with them is the four bolts that fasten them also provide the ground and since they are cheap (it is a Henry J after all) they often corrode due to the rear wheels sloshing water/slush etc. on them, they no longer ground well. I removed the tail light bodies on my '53 and cleaned the surfaces and as an added precaution, ran a ground wire from one of them down to the frame to provide a better ground. Those lights provide tail, stop and, if  so equipped, signal lights. If you car has round red lenses in those other holes that's typical, but not original, as the 'K' emblems used to fill the holes where the tail lights mounted on the earlier cars were cheap and hollow which meant they filled with moister and rusted out in short order. You see very few originals with them intact, even back in the early 60s they were already impossible  to find so people often put reflectors, after-market backup lights, or another set of '51 Henry J tail lights in the holes to fill them. That's likely what happened with yours.

Thanks!  So I take it to mean that the lower holes were the original tail/brake lights on the 51 (and 52 Vagabond) HJs, and then were just sort of "there" for the true 52s and 53/54s (because hey, why not just keep stamping the same piece you've been stamping all along, right...)?

They've been (at some point in time, not by me) wired up with lights, so I've got lights on the fins and in the lower holes.  Now, since the wiring is pretty jacked and partially disconnected, and the car does have a blinker/hazard setup, I guess the question becomes:  What, if anything, should I use the lower lights for...

And does anyone know if there are repops available of the K hole-fillers, in case I just decide to rip out the wires abandon those altogether?  I'm kind of tempted to try and get some made out of acrylic or some such thing, but with a red K (or clear K with red bulbs behind) and them in as additional brake lights... 

EDITED TO ADD:  If I'm not mistaken, weren't back-up lights available as an option?  Would those lower lights have been used for that purpose in the later models?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:36:41 PM by jasonrocksout »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
So I take it to mean that the lower holes were the original tail/brake lights on the 51 (and 52 Vagabond) HJs, and then were just sort of "there" for the true 52s and 53/54s (because hey, why not just keep stamping the same piece you've been stamping all along, right...)?

You hit it right on the head there. As far as I know there are no repros of the 'K' medallions. It took me 30 years to find two that I felt were good enough to install in my car (just did it last year). This after numerous attempts at having them re-chromed, filled etc.  For years I had a set of DO-RAY 451 backup lights installed.  The Yankee 475 will also fit the holes, and yes, there was a factory issue set of back  up lights for the Henry J - it's extremely rare. I had a chance to get a set about 15  years ago and have been kicking myself ever since. They look like the one posted. People also use '51 Kaiser parking lights as HJ back up lights - they fit right in the holes too.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
On two previous Henry J's I solved the tail/brake light problems by removing the original sockets and substituting a socket that has a separate ground wire. I ordered these for my current car. It makes a huge difference in brightness!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250988107?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D331250988107%26_rdc%3D1
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
This is the KF backup light for the 51 J installed on Alan Thomas' ride.
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
This is the KF backup light for the 51 J installed on Alan Thomas' ride.

Oooh.... Want that...  :)

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
So I take it to mean that the lower holes were the original tail/brake lights on the 51 (and 52 Vagabond) HJs, and then were just sort of "there" for the true 52s and 53/54s (because hey, why not just keep stamping the same piece you've been stamping all along, right...)?

You hit it right on the head there. As far as I know there are no repros of the 'K' medallions. It took me 30 years to find two that I felt were good enough to install in my car (just did it last year). This after numerous attempts at having them re-chromed, filled etc.  For years I had a set of DO-RAY 451 backup lights installed.  The Yankee 475 will also fit the holes, and yes, there was a factory issue set of back  up lights for the Henry J - it's extremely rare. I had a chance to get a set about 15  years ago and have been kicking myself ever since. They look like the one posted. People also use '51 Kaiser parking lights as HJ back up lights - they fit right in the holes too.

Thanks for all the info!  Using the 51 parking lights looks pretty decent, I'll have to keep that in mind.  Still thinking about maybe trying to get some repro K's made with a clear K so I can maybe wire 'em up as back-up lights.  I just don't really like the generic red plastic lenses.  :-\

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
This is a lens /bezel combo used on several KF products. It was used as the front parking/turnsignal light on the ALLSTATE as well. I painted the inside of the clear lens with translucent glass hobby paint and used them on my red 53 .I have also seen them wired as back up lights on a J.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:03:10 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
I debated using 51 Turn Signal lenses when I installed turn signals, but I decided to wire turn signals with the existing brake light.  Like how this looks. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer