Author Topic: Henry J continental kit installation instructions  (Read 6712 times)

k_babb

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry J continental kit installation instructions
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
I am looking for a copy of the Henry J continental kit installation instructions.  Any help would be appreciated.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J continental kit installation instructions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
I will send you a copy via e-mail.

If you need help with installation or parts let me know.

Best,

Mark Steele (KFOCI # 9311)
AZSteele123@aol.com
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Ken_Parkman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »
We - my father and I - are also looking for help on this. He is installing a continental kit on his 53 restoration project. He has a bunch of kit parts, but we are not sure if all the parts are there and how it is supposed to look. Could I get a copy of the instructions as well? Thanks in advance.
Ken

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
Sorry...while I have a lot of instructions for installing K-F accessories, I don't have this one.  Would the exploded drawing of the kit showing the various parts be of help?  It is found in the Parts Book Supplement for the 1951 HJ that covers the 1952 HJ Vagabond,  It does not show up in the 1952-53 version, as far as I can remember.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
Ken,

I will send you what I have via e-mail. It is the parts list and an exploded view. It will not include a detail installation instruction, but it will help. I and Lowell are quite knowledge about the CT Kit on Henry J so feel free to contact us with any questions. If you like send me pictures of what you have in parts and I can tell you if you are missing any or have issues with them. Lowell has quite a few pictures of when he installed his on his car and I am sure he will share them with you. Note You will need a bumper like is used on a 1951 Henry J.J for the kit to install correctly. I belive the 1953 Henry J had a different back bumper. We are hear to help so ask as many questions as you like. P.S. Where are you located at?

Best regards,

Mark Steele
Sun City, AZ
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep

Ken_Parkman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the information - it is terrific. The car is my Fathers, who is not a computer person, and it is a long way from Arizona (and a lot colder) in PEI, Canada. Arizona sounds good right now with a foot of snow predicted for tomorrow!

We did not know anything about the different bumpers, thanks again.

The car is a 53 with a 6 cyl with OD, and is in decent shape, running fine before he started the restoration process.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Remember Fid and I (Lowell and Mark) are here to help you.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:16:49 AM »
I should point out a couple of things regarding the photos I sent you of my install:
1. I have not completed it yet. I still need to make a gasket for the support that bolts to the deck lid and install the two additional spacers and bolts on that support. I plan on tackling that this spring as I too live in the Great White North (Minne-snow-ta). 
2. When installing the spacers for those three bolts (one for the latch and the two in the support itself) it requires you drill 1/4" holes through both surfaces on the deck lid (the outer surface and the inner wall). Then drill a 3/8" hole (because I used 3/8" stock for the spacers) on the outer (exposed surface) only. This allows the spacer to fasten the support to the inner wall of the deck lid.  I've seen people install the kits without using the spacers. That's up to you, but I'm going to install them as I noticed the decklid "puckers" when I latch the tire and the spacers should stiffen it up. It may never bother permanantly but Mark found me some really good stock for the spacers (you can see the one I made in the photos) so I'm just going to finish the job.  Also, the people I know who have not used the spacers, have cars that have a fold down rear seat in addition to a trunk lid as most 1951s and 1952 Vagabonds do so they do not have to fold the tire down and open the deck lid to access the trunk area. On a 1953 J, the rear seat does not fold down so be aware that every time you want to access the trunk area, you have to unlatch and latch the tire.
3. I did not drill a seperate hole for the license light wire as the diagram shows. I simply ran my wire through the existing hole that is used by the fuel gauge sending unit. I then routed it along the back wall and under the trunk latch and up the other side and plugged it in where the existing light is. Again, how you do it, is up to you. I just get a little uneasy about drilling holes in my car so I chose to use an existing one.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:20:37 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »
I did install the two additional spacers last Saturday and it really helped. The deck lid does not pucker at all when latching the tire now.

Here it is, all done now

1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:23:11 PM »
Just to tack onto this topic - I was at a shop this morning that was doing some work on a 1954 Hudson Jet. Cute little car, looks a lot like a '52-'53 Ford from behind.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me but I did notice, it had a Continental tire Kit on the back. It had a metal tire cover with chrome on it and mounted straight up and down. The license plate light was the same one used on the Henry J and Kaiser kits  - the Hollywood light. It was a cool little car.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe