Author Topic: Sound & Temp insulation  (Read 2501 times)

Marse

• View Profile
    • Email
Sound & Temp insulation
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
What is a good sound insulation material you can recommend?  Restoration on my 1951 4-door Deluxe Kaiser is completed except for a new interior.  The car is noisy.  Kanter Auto Products advertises sound and thermal deadening materials.  Any experience with these?

Thanks,

Marse

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sound & Temp insulation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
www.quietride.com

They probably have the firewall pad for the car as well. I've installed two in my Henry Js and it's great to be able to get them. They have a number of products so check out their entire site.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Marse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »
Thank you.  I will check Kanter's products.

Marse

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »
The guys I know that bother with such things all use Dynamat and will swear up and down that it's worth it.

http://www.dynamat.com/brands/dynamat-xtreme/

Marse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
The Dynamat sound & heat deadening material looks like a great choice for my Kaiser. An upholstery shop recommended its use only on the floor, firewall and doors but not on the headliner due to heat on roof.

Thank you.

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
The Dynamat sound & heat deadening material looks like a great choice for my Kaiser. An upholstery shop recommended its use only on the floor, firewall and doors but not on the headliner due to heat on roof.

Thank you.

And just FYI, FatMat is essentially the same product but costs a bit less.  RAAMMat is also an option.

As to the headliner issue:  I know guys that have used Dynamat under (or rather, above?) the headliner in various vehicles before without too much trouble.  The problem with any number of different sound/heat deadeners with regard to the headliner is A) depending on the product, if the vehicle spends a lot of time in extreme heat it can loosen the adhesive and cause it to start to peel/fall, which will make your headliner eventually start to sag as well and B) there are some products that people have chosen to use that create a risk of moisture absorption if the car spends a lot of time outside in inclement weather (say it's parked outside in winter and you get a lot of snow)

That being said, there's a lot of options people use with varying degrees of success, and just as many folks that will say don't bother with anything at all under the headliner.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:56:53 PM by jasonrocksout »