Author Topic: Darrin carburetors  (Read 2944 times)

kf751

• View Profile
    • Email
Darrin carburetors
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
From my latest research...

If you have a Darrin...  the number on the base of the carburator should  be yf 2071. It is a Carter for 1953. Other Hurricane F head sixes are yf 924 and Yf 937. All of the other are for 4 cylinder F heads etc.

Seems like Solex only make a carburator for the 4 cylinder F head. I could be wrong on that. 

Please put you 2 cents in if my research is flawed.

Thanks.
Richard Johnson kfoc 751

kf751

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Darrin carburetors
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Jake,  do you have a picture of the base of the carburator showing the correct number?  It seems all of the yf  carburetors look the same and the majority are for 4 cylinder engines.

The trap we fall into is putting the wrong carburator on the Darrin with the incorrect rebuild kit.

Having the incorrect fuel valve will cause flooding and foul plugs.

Thanks, Richard

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
The correct carb for the Darrin is a YF2094S. Here's a copy of the spec sheet from Carter Carburetor.

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
Great stuff guys.  Thanks. Here is where I  am heading. I have tired multiple carburetors.  Most have a tendency to flood and foul plugs or starve for fuel. Some had the four kit and others had the six kit.

My wild guess is over the years the correct Darrin carburetors have been rebuilt and the three  main components have been swapped out because they appear to look alike.  So,  many Darrin carburetors may be on 4 cylinder F heads having been rebuilt with the 4 cylinder rebuild kit and many hurricane six engines are using the 4 carburetors with the 6 rebuild kit. Many would say... The base number is un important. My car runs great the way it is...

Remembering that the neck has to be smooth so the air cleaner can fit on the car allowing the hood to close.  Many yf carburetors have a lip on the top. OK for a Hurricane six on a jeep... Not so good for the Darrin. We need more information to figure this out.

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »
Jake, we know that the Henry J is a 80 hp engine and not an 90hp F head. It also has a different air cleaner. No one knows that better than you. This adds to the confusion and creates another question.

Does it make any difference?

Yes. If the top half is different because of hood clearance issues. Also,  is 10 hp important?

I don't know.  You guys know more about this stuff than I do.  Thanks

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
If the previous statement is true, explain the attached.
Note that the 216 engine is a "6-banger"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-CARTER-YF-1BBL-NO-964S-FOR-THE-216-C-I-ENGINE-/322257504432?hash=item4b080b48b0:g:ZCQAAOSwHoFXrGr2&vxp=mtr

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »
i have a 648 base
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »
The base for the 216 carb is different in that  the throttle plate is actuated from the opposite direction.
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman