Author Topic: Facts True ? 53 Dragon  (Read 5177 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
Facts True ? 53 Dragon
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
http://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/4725362799.html           Anybody know anything about this Kaiser ?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Facts True ? 53 Dragon
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:53:10 PM »
It could all be true. I've never heard of this one but it might be. I do have to question anyone that claims to know a lot about the car but still spells it 'Frazier.'
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:26:12 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, while I would like to see the tags to be certain, the car appears to be the unrestored example of the "6 pack" (because there were originally only 6 built) 1953 Show Dragons that has kicked around southern Illinois for over 14 years that I am aware of.  Jerry Johnson has an original condition car so there is a sample that can be used for restoration.  It has multi-pleat leather upholstery and should have come with the wire wheels that are on it.  There are rumors that a couple additional cars were built after the group of 6.  There should be a SPEC-FO number with a "K" prefix on the large firewall body tag in addition to the special order paint and trim codes noted in the seller's description.

Dealmaker here would be the door post serial number tag.  Besides identifying it as a K530 model, there could be an "X-" prefix for serial number (like X-6 which was the number on the car my father still had when he died back in 1979). 

Alice Stevens, wife of designer (and K-F contributing stylist) Brooks Stevens got another one of the group in 1953; I have a picture of Alice getting the keys to the car in the showroom of DeBoer Motors, the big Milwaukee K-F dealer on 6th street between Wells and Wisconsin Avenues (building torn down in the late 1960's) from Harold DeBoer, owner of the dealership.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
That car looks like it could be a real winner!  Someone in the area needs to check it out.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
It could all be true. I've never heard of this one but it might be. I do have to question anyone that claims to know a lot about the car but still spells it 'Frazier.'

Fid and Mr. Manhattan:

This car has been on the forum many times. I posted the latest one about 6 weeks ago, same ad.  Jack M. has commented on this car several times.   The seller has even come on the forum and placed a for sale ad, but it is now several years old.

The 1st time I posted the craigs list link I failed to include cut/paste of the contact information and it was 'lost.'  This last time I posted - 6 weeks ago - I included all the contact information in the forum post for posterity, so we as a group have it.

I would love to own the car. The seller is eccentric.  It's probably not fair to write such a personal comment, but he is a bit reclusive, does not often answer phone calls or emails, doesn't budge on price despite (I guess) a desire to move the car out of his ownership.

He has adjusted the ad content from time to time, and has often cited KFOCI in his ads.  The CL ads drop off, the car is "lost" and then it pops back up.  It's a true 999 / 888 Dragon set up as one of the 6 Chicago show cars.

He now states it is a special order copy. He used to state it was one of the 6.   I think it is probably one of the top 10 collectible Kaiser Frazers out there, that needs restored.  It's in the rare group of factory convertibles, 1st generation Virginians, 1955 Kaisers and other Dragons for rarity and desirability.

I could have purchased it 2 or 3 times in the past 6 years as I sold cars to create seed money and remembered the car, but timing was part of it, the seller doesn't seem to want to budge off the $3000 price, and / or does not answer inquiries into the car.

As far as I know - he has not tried ebay.  I think with the strong bidding that Dragons get on ebay, this car might sell for $3000 on ebay, IF the seller ran a good auction with plenty of photos and details. 

He doesn't seem to want to do that.  As far as I know, the seller is NOT a KFOCI member. If anyone knows him better then I do, it would be nice to hear some details about him.  He has owned the car for several years now.

It would be a fantastic car to restore, a lot of fun, especially with documentation.  It's a testimony to the "cheapness" of the KF crowd that the car languishes in southern Illinois without someone grabbing it.  If it were most other makes, then it would be sold a long time ago and a restoration would be well under way or completed. 

Equally as rare Pontiacs, Chevies, Fords, Lincolns, etc would never last as long as this car has, for sale. 

The question is 'why' and is $3000 still too much.   I see both sides of the coin. You should be able to get a Dragon project, needing a $60,000 + restoration for the same price as a 53 Manhattan, at about $1500 (this assumes a non running car, with rust, needing everything).

But no other Dragon is possibly so equipped as this one, that is left anyway.  It was build to replicate the Chicago show cars, and it seems the brown leather seats are savable, and those factory wire rims are uber rare alone. (You can get reproductions)

So maybe $3000 is technically reasonable.   If the car received an honest $75,000 restoration and was shown in KFOCI and AACA events, at some point winning high scoring awards, it should bring a fair amount of satisfaction AND be sellable up to $30,000 if the restoration / refreshment is of great quality. 

But more importantly, a super rare AND desirable piece of KF history would be preserved for the ages.  As it sits now, it is precariously close to abandonment. 

I think it desperately needs a new owner, whether the new owner can afford such a breathtaking restoration or not, may not be the point.  If the Mona Lisa needed restoration, would you rather it be preserved in a decent museum, or sit in the corner of a non temperature regulated garage? 

No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
Once again the contact information:

Neal  phone number 262 880 9316

Please note if you go the Southern Illinois Craigs List there are 2 ads for this car, same ad, one listing the price at $5500 and another $3500.

The last time I reached out to Neal, it was through KFOCI forum and he sent me a one line email asking "what can I help you with?"

I then sent him an email response with an offer in the $2000 range and never even got the courtesy of a response.

Good luck if anyone reaches out to him. 
No old cars owned.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »
Seems to me the extra $1000 or so to buy the car doesn't mean much if the restoration is going to cost 60K. Just curious, what aspects of a Dragon restoration would push the restoration cost that high? Concours quality paint & body? Aren't these cars basically a Manhattan with gold emblems , vinyl top and special interior?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:03:26 AM by 51Deluxe »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
That is a good question 51Deluxe. I too would like to hear what others have to say. Yes, if the gold is done back to original it should be 24 Karat correct? How much does it cost to have the hood and trunk emblems and the hood ornament gold plated? My guess it that contributes significantly to the cost.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 12:28:37 AM »
That is a good question 51Deluxe. I too would like to hear what others have to say. Yes, if the gold is done back to original it should be 24 Karat correct? How much does it cost to have the hood and trunk emblems and the hood ornament gold plated? My guess it that contributes significantly to the cost.

Maybe not. Gold plating involves so little gold that it might not be that expensive (like a gold plated ring costing a fraction of what a solid gold one costs). Probably,like chrome plating, the money is in the prep. Also, I'm not familiar with K-F, but virtually all other gold trim on 50's cars, such as the '57 Chevy hood trim,was "gold color" anodized and not expensive at all.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:04:39 AM »
According to factory documents, it was anodized gold on the fender script, the "V" emblems of hood and trunk, the hood ornament and the "Kaiser" trunk lid script.  Tops were vinyl with 2 different patterns and a few different colors. 

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
I wrote another long response but the bottom line is:

Is anyone going to buy the car and if not, why?
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
It does look like a nice rare car for a fair price.  I hope someone will do it justice!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »
My questions are , How old is the photo ? Is it stored inside on a dirt or concrete floor or stored outside ?  I have sent two E-mails and no reply.
Maybe he doesn't really want to sell it .Because I have seen three different prices in the last year.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on the gold Jack. I thought I'd read somewhere that it was 24K but that obviously was not the case.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
This is at least the third time this car has been advertised for sale in the last year. I have a friend with family in Evansville and they've tried to contact the seller locally with no luck. If anyone does manage to see the car in the flesh, I'd like to hear what they think of it.