Author Topic: Mamual Transmission Issues??????  (Read 2026 times)

carbuff1941

• View Profile
    • Email
Mamual Transmission Issues??????
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:28:27 PM »
Okay all you transmission guys.  As I slowly work toward pulling the frozen engine on this 1947 Frazer Manhattan I have some questions about the transmission.  A couple of days ago when it finally warmed up enough to get in the garage I removed the rear drive shaft.  This car has the flange type couplings.  While under the car I thought I would see if the transmission was free.  With the transmission is 1st, 2nd and 3rd I can turn the flange/shaft counter-clockwise but not clockwise.  In neutral I can turn the shaft/flange either direction.  In reverse it will NOT turn either direction.  The results are the same whether the clutch is engaged or not.  The car does have overdrive.  Is this normal or do I now have another problem in addition to the frozen engine.  I just love Frazers!

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mamual Transmission Issues??????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
The reason the transmission output shaft will not turn in either direction when the transmission is in reverse with the clutch released is that the clutch plate is rusted to the flywheel which is attached to a ceased engine. The reason the output shaft will turn in one direction in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is because of the overdrive. If you pull the overdrive lever out that will lock the transmission out of overdrive and the output shaft will not turn in either direction because of the ceased engine and rusted clutch plate.

carbuff1941

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Any ideas on how I can separate the two?  I wonder if the splines on the shaft and disc are "welded" together.  Do you think the weight of the engine, when pulling it, would be enough to pull them apart when I disconnect the bell housing?  If not how in the world will I get them apart?  I love Frazers!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
The clutch plate has rust welded itself to the flywheel. When you pull the engine, it should be enough to easily separate the two.

carbuff1941

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
As I mentioned before, the output shaft of the transmission turns counter clockwise in all three gears but not clockwise.  It doesn't turn at all when in reverse and will turn both directions in neutral.  It makes no difference with the clutch pedal up or to the floor.  Of course the overdrive cable is frozen in the in position which I will also need to address.  It appears all the cables are frozen.  I have a feeling not much works on this car, but I still love it!