Author Topic: Replace distributor?  (Read 4509 times)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Replace distributor?
« on: November 04, 2014, 08:52:07 PM »
Did a compression test today due to lingering suspicion that I had damaged my engine when driving back from Jackson. Good news- compression ranged from 95-105, which I assume is fine. Bad news- when removing the plugs I noticed that the distributor is loose and can be moved a couple of inches! The casting is  cracked  right next to the hold down bolt. Any chance replacing the hold down lock washer with a large one would hold down the dist? If not, I assume I have to replace the entire distributor. Where can I get it?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:57:23 PM by 51Deluxe »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Replace distributor?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:04:21 PM »
Nope, no need to replace the distributor. You can replace just the adapter. That's actually a common problem...the casting is thin at that point and they do break.

There are a couple different styles, based on whether the car is Autolite or Delco equipped. With nothing more than a couple wrenches you can do the swap yourself.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »
Just looking at it, the distributor body including the lower part looks like one piece. So the lower inch or so of the housing comes off?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »
Yes, it does. The adapter is just a sleeve with a tab on it for the mount bolt. It's held to the distributor by the bolt used to adjust timing. Remove the bolt and the distributor will slide right out of the adapter which remains attached to the head by the one nut. Remove the nut and the adapter will lift off the head.

I'm posting a pic showing a distributor with the adapter attached. Note where the adapter is bolted to the timing plate.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
Jim, I have a related question.  My buddy who helps me keeps my car running had trouble holding the RPM's and said the distributor shaft is wobblying inside (or something like that).  Is there like a bearing inside the distributor and how difficult is it to replace it??  Hope I am making sense.  Thanks, Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:03:15 PM »
Found these in my spares. 
One is 2 3/8 " tall - the other is 2 1/2" tall.
You're welcome to one if it will fit.

custom
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:04:21 PM »
Yes, it does. The adapter is just a sleeve with a tab on it for the mount bolt. It's held to the distributor by the bolt used to adjust timing. Remove the bolt and the distributor will slide right out of the adapter which remains attached to the head by the one nut. Remove the nut and the adapter will lift off the head.

I'm posting a pic showing a distributor with the adapter attached. Note where the adapter is bolted to the timing plate.

Thanks for the picture, Jim, that really clears it up. I tried a large washer and it locked down the remaining part of the adapter, so I'm good for now. Bonus is that the car now runs like a sewing machine- the loose distributor must have been causing the roughness that made me think "burnt valve" or similar.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:07:20 PM by 51Deluxe »

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
Found these in my spares. 
One is 2 3/8 " tall - the other is 2 1/2" tall.
You're welcome to one if it will fit.

custom

Thanks for the offer , Custom, I'll try to determine which adapter I have and let you know. That will be a much better fix than the washer.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »
Jim, I have a related question.  My buddy who helps me keeps my car running had trouble holding the RPM's and said the distributor shaft is wobblying inside (or something like that).  Is there like a bearing inside the distributor and how difficult is it to replace it??  Hope I am making sense.  Thanks, Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
Mike, there is a bushing inside that wears. They can be replaced. At one time NAPA carried the part. I don't have the number.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
Thanks Jim.  Maybe someone on the chat will know the part number.  Doesn't sound difficult to replace??  Does the disttributor need to be removed from the car to replace the bushing??
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »
To replace the bushing, the distributor will need to be completely disassembled. You might be further ahead to find another distributor.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 12:01:34 PM »
what is the model number of the distributor?

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
The distributor on my 54 Manhattan w/SC is Delco-Remy 1110237.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
Referring back to custom's pics:  The reason for the different heights is the shorter adapter is for a Autolite and the taller is for a Delco distributor. If you use a Delco adapter adapter on an Autolite, the bottom tabs on the Autolite will not contact the intermediate shaft. So the motor turns over, but the distributor doesn't turn.
As a reminder, the tabs on the bottom of the distributor are offset so you can't put the distributor 180 out of time - IF the intermediate shaft is not disturbed. The intermediate shaft can be installed 180 degrees out. And the distributor turns CCW instead of CW like most every other engine you will encounter.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170