Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 11175 times)

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »
 :-*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:50:46 PM by jake »
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
I should be ok with the fuel line, I'll have one made per the pictures posted.

No pics for the fuel filter installation guys ?

Thanks

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
You will find a good illustration of the factory installed fuel filter on a 1951 Kaiser in the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer factory Service Manual.  If you have a deluxe, the car was equipped with a single stage pump unless the car was built prior to August 1950 (lower serial number).  Check KFOCI HANDBOOK for more information on this point under Accessory Groups.  Originally, 1851 Kaiser Deluxe models came without the electric wipers.  With the advent of the electric type wipers, the fuel pump went from double to single stage and stayed that way except for a group of 1953 Kaisers that were built with the double action pump because of part shortages; these were plugged on the upper stage by the factory.

These days, the double stage pump seems to be the only new pump type available through auto parts stores, but the same can be said for a lot of the 1950's and earlier cars.  Original old NOS should not be used unless the seals are changed from the old rubber type to the LATEST release level Neophreme seals.  Some of the older formulations will break down when exposed to current type gasolines.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
My 51 Kaiser is a Deluxe with electric wipers.

I found installed an uncapped, sweating double stage  fuel pump when I got the car.
It was coupled to the carburator with flexible hoses and plastic NAPA fuel filter.

I figured I would replace it with a rebuilt single stage. Found one at my local NAPA.
I will have a rigid tube made, similar to the original to couple to the carb, without a filter.

I have to install that filter somewhere else, upstream of the pump.
I checked the installation shown in the Shop Manual, fig. 104 & 108 and don't seem to have that anymore on the car. Might have been removed some time before me for who knows what reason !

That's why I was wondering if you guys would have a good clear picture of fuel filter installation.

Of course, I could always figure out something not original style, on the left side of the engine (driver's side) in the engine compartment for easy access...

ideas ? recommendations ?

Thanks

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »
My '53 Manhattan didn't have a fuel filter when I got it, and there was no evidence that it ever had one. This worried me a bit after 40,000 miles, and I saw a scintered brass filter for some other car that fit in the recess in the top of the carb between the input line and the float valve. there is normally a screen here. I trimmed it slightly and installed in place of the screen. 120,000 miles later I had never had any sort of problem.My suspicion is that the screen would work pretty well by itself. Completing restoration now I'm opting for the same approach. The kluges with the glass bowl look like potential firestarters to me. Just sayin.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
My '53 was also original-style with no other filter than the screen at the bottom of the pump bowl.  Seemed to work fine.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 07:09:49 AM »
My 48 has the glass bowl on the bottom of the pump and a screen in the carb ...but the screen in the pump was broke down......do they still make these?
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Yes, parts are available. These folks have been a good source of parts for me over the years -> http://then-now-auto.com/

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
OK guys, I started my fuel pump replacement today, taking the oportunity to replace the valve cover gasket at the same time.

The fuel pump inlet line (flexible section coming from the fuel tank all the way thru the front of the engine) was connected to the aft port of the old pump (looking at the pump installed on the engine block), the outlet hard tubing connected to the forward port of the pump and then going up to the carb.

One question arised, as I was going to install the replacement unit, I noticed '' IN'' punched underneeth the  forward port of the rebuilded pump. I've put the installation on hold. Have you guys seen that before ? The replacement pump looks like the old unit and seems to fit in place. Is the inlet port really on the forward side on that rebuilded unit, opposite from the old one?

Awaiting comments from you experienced fellows...

Thanks !

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »
Reading back the above... of course, the inlet fuel line is not all the way flexible !!! Just the last 6 in that connects to the pump...

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
The easiest way to know which is the inlet/outlet is to clamp the arm in a vise and push down on the pump body to actuate the diaphragm with your finger over one of the openings. If there's suction, that's the inlet. If you finger is pushed away, you've found the outlet.

You could have a misstamped pump, or one with the clock position 180 degrees out.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 09:58:03 PM »
Sounds like the bottom section of the rebuilt pump was installed wrong. Remove the screws and rotate the bottom section of the pump so that the inlet port matches the inlet position on the old pump and screw it back on in that position.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
BE EXTRA CAREFUL! Rotate the housing and not the diaphragm. It will disengage from the actuating arm if rotated.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »
Thanks guys,

I first checked to see if I had suction from the 180 deg wrong inlet port and air pressure from the opposite outlet port per JoeFrazer's instructions and I do.

Before trying to rotate the bottom part, I ordered another one from NAPA to compare with the one I got... I should get it tomorrow and I'll keep you posted...