Author Topic: Fuel pump  (Read 11174 times)

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pump
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »
Well, it seems like the NAPA AFP572 fuel pumps are assembled with the inlet on the forward side instead of the aft one cause the second unit was the same as the first one.

So I ended up unscrewing and rotating the bottom housing 180 deg on that rebuilded unit. Being carefull not to disturb the diaphragm like you guys said. I checked the Service Manual which adresses the fuel pump overhaul as well.

Did the manual pressure / suction test like previously and confirmed that pressure is now coming from the forward port.  :)

Imagine if the rebuilded pump was installed without checking (it's a possibility due to both aft and forward ports being the same size/threads), it would have blown air into the line that comes from the gas tank !!! What a pain in t..... !  >:(

I should try to start this baby sometime next week once done with other stuff on the car... I'll keep you posted !

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
Hello fellows,

Went to pick up my youngest kid at school today with the Kaiser and following a inspection of the engine compartment upon my return home, everything seems good !

So the NAPA AFP 572 fuel pump with the 180 deg. reverted bottom works fine and is leak free. So is my newly made hard line from the pump to the carb based on the referenced picture posted earlier in this thread.

I had to make myself spacers to compensate for the new pump's thinner mounting flange. I used a thin threaded rod to work the hard line pattern. See pics.

The only thing though, I'd still like to install a filter somewhere between the fuel tank and the pump because of the contaminents I found in the old one I removed.

P.S. Yeah, I know, this engine block needs a good paint job !!!

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
is that a copper line?  steel is less of a heat conductor but a little harder to bend. but it looks good though!

1953 traveler (long gone)
1949 Bermuda tan (still in California not mine)
1953 Manhattan (parts car long gone)
1947 special (modified) Linda's
1953 Carolina my first Hydra-Matic not on road yet
1951 $520.00 delux with whiskey under front seat!

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:55 PM »
It's not a copper line like the ones for plumbing. (altough I admit it does look like that on the picture !)

I got the line from a local hydraulic shop and they told me it's made of an alloy which permits easier bending than pure steel. They use it for industrial high pressure hydraulic applications.

It's very solid and leak free so far.  :)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
Looking good. I will add that we rerouted the fuel line out away from the exhaust manifold to avoid vapor lock - it has worked well. I drove the car all day in 93 degree heat two weeks ago and no problems at all.  I don't know if this will cost you any points at a meet but it sure makes the car more enjoyable!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:46:37 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 08:52:29 PM »
Fuel Pumps: Supercharged engines had a single diaphragm pump. They were all Manhattans and had electric wipers so they didn't need the  vacuum booster side of a fuel pump for the wipers.
HOWEVER, supercharged engines had a pressures line from the air box to the top of the single diaphragm fuel pump. Here is the reason. The carb is inside the air box and when the SC is turned on, the gas in the carb is now at 4 psi ABOVE atmospheric. The SC pressure could actually force gas back out of the carb (pump pressure is about 3.5-4 psi tops). The line from the air box to the top of the fuel pump makes the pressure on top of the fuel pump diaphragm the same as the carb in the air box so the fuel pump can continue pumping fuel into the carb. 
I have seen fuel pump castings with bosses which suggest that there is nothing move involved here than drilling, tapping a hole for a pipe fitting, and running a steel line.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »
There were two rounds of K-F Experimental Engineering tests using a supercharger on the 226 to boost horsepower.  The first round used a 226 on a test stand and things work well at static.  Round two had a s/c in a running automobile and they found out about the pressure issue that required the line from box to pump during actual driving.  Carter was willing to design a special pump with expectations of higher volume than actually materialized but it works as hoped for.