Author Topic: 49 Frazer on the road  (Read 3308 times)

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
49 Frazer on the road
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »
I have my body and paint guy, Gary helping with my 49. He thinks we can get it on the road soon. I asked him about starting the body work, it does have more rust then I would like, (never buy a car without looking at it in person and pictures are deceiving) and he ask "what do I think about a off-frame restoration" I said I would prefer not to. He recommended selling it as a rat rod, they like rust, and buy one like the black one that was in the last bulletin for $7000. I don't have that kind of money. He said it would end up costing me about $20.000 to do my car right.
  I can do a lot of the work myself, but not rust and replacing body panels. I could do my own sand blasting on part of the car at a time to save money but he would have to do the bodywork.
  I was thinking if there's a good stripped body, with little or no rust in Calif. or Az. It might not be a bad idea to start with a better body. The price would have to be right.
  Any ideas on this? 
  Know where a good 49Frazer Manhattan for sale at a good price?
  Or a Good body I can get and start on?

Depressed in Whittier :(

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 49 Frazer on the road
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »
Hi Will,  '49 and '50 Frazer's are the same except for the serial numbers.  You have passed on some 50 Frazer's because you want a '49,  Put some money aside and start looking as '49 Frazer Manhattans are out there and your friend is right.  Buy the best car that you can find because you certainly can't restore one for the price of a nice one.  Place an ad in the Bulletin and you will be pleasantly surprised at what will turn up.  Also check with Rudy and Kaiser Bill as they usually have a selection of what you are looking for.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
Thanks Gordie, I hate the idea of giving up on this car. I don't want to see it go for a parts car.

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
Has anyone talked to Kaiser Bill lately ?

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
I work on my Frazer today, new fuel pump, fuel lines and filter. I ran air though the fuel line to the tank, it's blocked at the tank. I'm thinking I need to remove the tank and clean it out. Any tips?

Will in Whittier

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »
Hooked up the battery, turned the lights on and it worked!!!
I have a 20A fuze between the starter relay and the rest of the car in case it has a short.

Will in Whittier

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
Here is the way I clean a fuel tank . It may sound a little "RED NECK " but works really well . Remove the fuel sending unit is the first thing . Using a fish cooker ( a L.P. gas fired burner in a frame used to cook outside ) place the tank on it , put in a lot of detergent such as washing powder or dish washing detergent , fill to the top with water . Fire up the burner and let it come to a boil . Don't worry about the flame being right on the tank , it won't hurt it as long as it is full of water . Let it boil a good long time . The last one I did was close to an hour . It will loosen all the old varnish rust etc. so it will just pour out . A lot of it you can see boiling out with the detergent . When that part is done , let it cool , pour out the liquid , rinse with your water hose and finish off with  a good quality tank liner such as POR 15 tank liner .

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
I've also seen the apple cider vinegar ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYr_7SwGms...
I was thinking of filling the tank with it, leave it for a day or so.
 Its the tank liner such as POR 15 tank liner I don't know how to apply without taking out the tank...

Will in Whittier

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
Update...
 I removed the tank... has holes in it and really dirty. I took it to La Habra radiator, he said it's really dirty inside too. I'm having him weld up the holes, clean and seal it. Cost seems reasonable too.

Still working on a ignition key. I read a post here where the door lock is the same so I'm having a key made for it my door lock...Hope no one has changed the locks...

Will in Whittier

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 04:03:19 PM »
Is there an easy way to remove the ignition in my 49 Frazer with out a key?