Author Topic: Horn Switch  (Read 1355 times)

Richstape

• View Profile
Horn Switch
« on: November 29, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
I am in need of a horn switch for my Henry J.  The springs in the switch are getting weak and the horn blows when you hit a bump.  I am also looking for dash control knobs and the rubber insulator that goes between the bottom of the front fender and the valence for the right side.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Horn Switch
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »
Rudy Phillips has reproduced all of the Henry J dash knob for many years. I believe he still does. The horn mechanism can usually be repaired by removing the contact plate and pressing the three "fingers" on the mechanism to bend them a little so they fasten tighter when you re-install it. Also, the insulation often wears off of the tabs on it. Some heavy-duty tape on each one works well. The way the mechanism works is when you push on the horn ring (or button if it's a 4 cylinder) it tips those three fingers so one of them contacts the wire in  the center and blows the horn.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:21:06 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
horn blares by itself
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
My horn ('53 HJ) sounds without touching it.  The car had sat in the driveway for a year, then one morning the horn started blaring, so I pulled the wire from the horn relay.  Is the relay bad (it's only about 5 years old)?  I hadn't touched the inner working of the steering wheel hub/horn button, so I can't imagine anything is wrong in there.  BTW, the rubber gasket on it is new.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:50 AM »
A bad relay will cause the horn to not work at all. Something is causing the circuit to complete which is causing the horn to blow. I would check the contact plate as mentioned above.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:13:29 AM »
Same thing happened to my HJ.
I didn't catch it until the next day--horns were blaring and smoking when I went into my shop.

Insulator in horn ring had a small deteriorated section