Author Topic: ?Self-centering brakes  (Read 4807 times)

Charley

• View Profile
    • Email
?Self-centering brakes
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
I've got a '49 Traveler and am presently doing a complete brake rebuild.  While checking online for wheel cylinders and brake shoes, I see them listed for most years but has a notation that they are not for 1949-1951 self-centering brakes.  What are self-centering brakes AND do all 1949 Travelers have self-centering brakes?

Also does anyone know the Wagner or Dorman numbers for front/rear wheel cylinders?

Thanks for any help so I don't order the wrong parts. 

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ?Self-centering brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
check out this site:
http://kfparts.com/
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Charley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the response but I'm more interested in knowing WHAT are self-centering brakes......hopefully for someone who's worked on them.

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »
Hope these scans will help answer your question
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Charley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the PDF files.  I'll read them tonight and inspect my brake systems.  Just at a quick glance, it appears I have the self-centering system on my Traveler.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
You will be better off swapping the self-centering brakes for the standard units. Parts for the Wagner units are very hard to find and very pricey. I know, I had them on my 50K Traveler. The standard system used on every other full size Kaiser uses common parts that are available from most reputable suppliers.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:28:53 AM »
Because of a strike at Wagner, later production Kaisers may be equipped with one of two alternative wheel cylinder and brake shoe systems which Wagner supplied to K-F and others.  Besides the self-centering design there were also wheel cylinders and brake shoes ala Chrysler Corporation with a slot in the wheel cylinder pistons.

If you check the service information sections of KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 you will find some info on these from the supplier (I bet that's where the pdf's came from) with additional items in 6.0 (under development) to round out the information.  An Advance Information Bulletin has serial number cut points.  According to the factory info on the AIB Frazers were not affected by the situation as 1949-50 Frazer production all but stopped before the strike occurred.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
The .pdf file has 3 pages.  The first is from later in 1949 & identifies serial number cut points for the three different types of brake systems used on 1949-50 Kaiser.  The other two pages are from May 1949 & talks about self centering but not self adjusting brake systems.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:44:33 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Charley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  It's pouring rain here in Oregon and the car is on stands outdoors.  Hopefully I'll be able to get out there in a soon to continue dismantling the brakes.  I really appreciate all the help.

From what I've heard, if I decide to switch to regular brakes, I'll need to change everything.....all the way down to the backing plates.

I have a '48 Kaiser Special parts car...........will any of those pieces work to switch out to regular brakes?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 has the Wagner Brake service information from September 1948 and the Kaiser-Frazer parts list with exploded, numbered drawings showing part numbers for the individual pieces in the wheel assemblies, front and rear.  I am assuming that this is where Custom got the files he posted.

All members on the books in the fall of 2013 got this update AT NO CHARGE then, and those joining since were supposed to get the Handbook ALSO AT NO CHARGE as part of the new member materials sent from the Club Secretary. 

The handbook on CD is a perk for being a member of the club and whenever a new update is released all members get a copy of it. 

Charley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
I have a '49 Kaiser Parts List and am using it for references.  But it only seems to list one type brake system with only a view of the rear brakes.  My Kaiser '47-'49 Service Manual does not address the self-centering.  According to one bulletin I have, I need to look at Service Bulletin #163.  The Wagner Bulletin has a good explanation but does not have any part numbers either.  I haven't finished reading all 8-10 pages of it yet either.

As for the KFOCI Handbook, I don't have one.  I've been a Club member since the late 80's or early 90's but never got one.  I guess I'd better see about getting one.   For some reason, I don't seem to get any updates either.  I only get the monthly newslettter.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed a little bit.

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:13:16 AM »
I recieved the handbook it's dated aug 2013 , is that the most recent ?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »
It's version 5 and on CD. If you don't have one, contact the club secretary and one will be sent. Of course, you'll need to be a member!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »
As the label says, Version 5.0 was finalized in August 2013; it is the corrent version.