Author Topic: Kaiser Frazer pickups  (Read 69937 times)

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Frazer pickups
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
Hmmm........at least one post on this thread page has disappeared.   :o
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
:)
HR is wanting to put the two of the three known KF trucks (Mine and Gary's) in a story, coming soon.!..
Thanks for all the kind words.!..

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2016, 12:50:05 PM »
The 1947 Frazer Manhattan Promotional concept pickup truck.!..

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
I took these two pics sometime in the 1980's. Cannot remember where or when, but the junkyard/storage yard was somewhere in Southern California, more than likely north of Los Angeles, maybe towards Bakersfield or Santa Barbara. I do not know the truck's story either. Is this the same one this thread is about?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:28:04 PM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »
That doesn't look like it is the same truck. The back window is larger and the rear end is rounded instead of square but none the less a cool picture and truck!
It may be the one that Jake has posted several times
Maybe it's the third concept pickup supposedly commissioned by Earl Madman Muntz! lol

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2016, 12:31:49 PM »
I can see the differences after looking back at pictures. thanks Jake

If anybody needs more information on the three promotional Kaiser and Frazer pickup trucks commissioned by Madman Muntz, there is a great display all about the  trucks, their history, and documentation, now at the ACCA Museum in Pa.
I will post pics of the display
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:00:34 PM by 1947Frazer »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2016, 02:19:16 PM »
Look closely at the pictures and you'll see that the car is actually a 49/50, not a 47/48. Looking thru the back window you can see that it's a Kaiser based on the clock being on the passenger side.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:20:51 PM by joefrazer »

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »
The tiny bit of the grille that you can see confirms that it's a 49-50 Kaiser based truck.

I seem to remember a pic of one in an old quarterly, maybe from the late '60's or the '70's. Had a round logo on the doors, I think.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
C'mon, Jake, where was the pic taken who are the people and who owns the vehicles? Never post a pic without describing the details.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:40 AM »
Cool cool
New truck
1959 napco 4x4 Scotsman  Studebaker pickup
Only 9 made
It sets beside my 1947 Frazer Manhattan pickup

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
FYI
The 1947 Frazer pickup is going back home to southern sunny California to a new owner that is gong to display it as is with all its patina/Character. Full circle!
The newest article in "Trucks" did a fantastic job on the new owner and its plans for the truck.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
Took me awhile but I read all of the comments.   I agree with Gordie, but reluctantly.  I never did see any posting, whether a photo or just a# - of the VIN's of the 2 supposed early cars made into trucks.

There is some reference above, which certainly can NOT be true - that the Posie built hot rod is at the AACA Museum? No way! 

I also find it interesting that "Frankies Frazer" was quite active and proclaimed that he had sold a car for $125,000 but did not even attempt a modest correction of the non stock wheel set or anything. The same photos he posts are used by the supposed new owner. 

While I get that it was "Frankies" car and he can do whatever he wants, the truck deserves restoration as a curiosity if nothing else. 

In my opinion, which as Gordie notes is all we have - this is certainly an early non GP (?) Frazer that was very purposely converted into a truck.  IF the Posie car has a close to it VIN, and if the original workmanship is similar, then I think they were done together. 

Note I did not say done by Muntz.  But together.  It is not out of the realm since KF went on to produce the Traveler/Vagabond.  Hudson and maybe Studebaker had car based trucks.  Chevy and GMC had crossover Suburbans. This was in the zeitgeist of the time. 

But it is troubling that so many folks have linked these to Muntz without documentation. The Posie car is gone forever. If it truly was 1 of 3 then the owner did a disservice to the entire collector car hobby by forever converting it to a Hot Rod.  There are thousands of slabsider KF's out there still, and we know the owner and Posie spent well north of $200,000 on this creation. 

They could have used the Kaiser truck as a template and simply purchased a slab sider for $500 and done the same thing. 

One thing that bothers me is I have never seen the original pre hot rodded photo set of the Posie car.  Did it have a Pontiac straight 8 and automatic?  Or not? 

Frankiesfrazer kept those details out, sometimes saying he did not have permission to post.  Maybe it is in another post.

In any case, "Frankie" had had enough of the "supercool" Frazer pickup and sold it, at a modest price I guess, and the new owner is flipping it again, but not including any new photos.  Or did Frankie not really sell it and the ebay seller is Frankie? 

If it is on the west coast again, then I don't have the $2000 to $2500 it would cost to haul it back to the Midwest. 

if I could buy it at a "normal" project car price, I would restore the car/truck to it's original grey paint, ditto on the upholstery and everything, except it would be a clearly converted truck.  As Jim and others have noted in this thread there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

It was repeated over and over again that this was common.  Once a restoration was underway, there might be more clues to the originality of the truck conversion.   It is interesting to note the 1st title being 1950-ish but that does not tell me it was created in 1947, early 1948 and used by the dealer. 

if it was sold to an individual, then the title would be earlier.  Gordie, do you know if they had MSO's back in 1947?  I would assume they did and that was the 1st "title" or build document.   That would have been turned in when the title was issued in 1950. 

That MSO is certainly long gone, archived maybe for a few years by California, but certainly destroyed at some point. 

Frankie can claim all he wants that he wanted to keep the car as he found it, it was (and maybe still is) his car.  But the bottom line is no one wants to truly restore the car, and spend the serious cash to do so. 

As far as the ebay ad placed in the Ford section, ebay has long not provided a good placement option for KF. Many get placed in odd spots.

Who buys this car?  That's a good question.  Most KFOCI members are choke full of projects and typically don't take on restorations any more.    It could go to a Posie - like customer who hot rods it since as with that car, many hot rodders are looking for the odd car to get away from fat fendered Chevys and Fords which are ubiquitous. 

And for them, $4000 is chump change. 

Is this truck a part of KF history?  If it was judicially restored, and we actually had a museum, would it be allowed to placed on display? 
No old cars owned.

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »
Very sad that after the facts and documentation, people reject it. Really doesn’t help the club to denie facts that were found. It’s just part of history and should be recognized

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »
All the K-F pick-up trucks I have seen (for real or photos) were production sedans cut up and either had an existing pickup bed grafted in (like the early production 1947 Kaiser Special cut up and given a prewar Dodge pick-up bed with a DODGE tailgate) started out as wrecked automobiles.  The closest any factory-built truck came to existing would have been based on the one pictured here.  Attached with the photos is a memo from Henry J. Kaiser Jr (who ran Kaiser-Frazer's Southern California Division which included the Long Beach CA assembly plant) to his older brother Edger Fossburg Kaiser (that's the "F" in his name; Fossburg was Bess Kaiser's maiden name) that suggested Kaiser-Frazer look at the possibility of building these on the production line.  As it was back in 1946 when the photos and memo went back east, it was kind of a useless exercise.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
I've read all thru this thread and still haven't seen any real documentation! It really gets me that all these magazines and museums and whatever just print what they want or what they're told by a wishful owner, builder or seller. Documentation is everything, especially nowadays! It sure seems to me that there is no REAL proof that this was anything but a car someone made into a 'pickup' because they could. I don't see where the club is denying facts because I don't see any facts...it is a piece of history but it is just a story until I see proof.