Author Topic: Tire insert  (Read 970 times)

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
Tire insert
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
Hi guys, have anyone tried the tire "inserts" that imitate large white walls ?

Are these any good ?

Thanks to share your experience.

Happy new year by the way, I wish you lots of nice rides in KF cars !

Bernie

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tire insert
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
Do you mean Portawalls?  They have been around since the 1950's and are a rubber like disc that fits on the sidewall of the tire and are held in place by being tucked under the rim.  I used them for years when I had my used car lot and they certainly transform a black sidewall tire into a whitewall.  They usually were about 2 1/2 inch wide and worked well as long as you did not hit a curb with them while parking.  4 1/4 inch whitewalls are proper for most of our full size KF cars and portawalls are not that wide as they would not cling to the sidewalls.  I don't think that they would work on radials or tubeless tires and if you don't care about authenticity they are an inexpensive way to have the appearance of whitewalls.  They can currently be purchased at Lucas Tire Co.  They are online and have their main store in Long Beach CA.  They used to be available for 13, 14, 15, and 16 inch tires.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

carbuff1941

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
I had a 1957 Chevy and had portawalls on it.  As I recall that car had tubeless tires on it.  They weren't that easy to keep clean and would have a "yellow" tint to them over time.  I used them until I could save enough money to buy "real" whitewalls.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
I'm sure Coker Tire also has them. I remember an ad back in the 1950's (1954 maybe?) for different color port-a-walls, like yellow, green and blue.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.