Author Topic: 1959 Raven  (Read 5431 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
1959 Raven
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
I saw this first in Hemmings Motor News Mag from October 2009.  It is on the bottom of page 39 and is a small photo, but I instantly saw my Kaiser's lines.  The guts are custom and other cars, but the front clip, 1951 and 53 front bumpers, and 1953 rear bumpers, side stainless and rear fender line with the 'Darrin dip' is unmistakable. Of course, with Kaiser being a forgotten outcast of the automotive world, there is no mention of the Kaiser parts, which seems to make it more fun to point them out!   ;D
http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/raven.php
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1959 Raven
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
I just checked out the slide show.

http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/slideshow/raven/

Before I saw the rest of the pictures, I was thinking the bug-eyed toothy front end was a bit much. After seeing the rest, I'm not sure how to feel. He obviously did a lot of work to get that car the way he wanted it. Since he did that back in '59, I'd have to say good for him, but that car's got a face only a mother could love.

I guess if I ever saw someone do that to a Kaiser today, I'd kick them in the nuts.

???
KFOCI #9798

DRAGON WHISPERER

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
yes it is ??? nice  ??? ???!!!!  but just a bit over the top, reminds me of the days when we would take out toy cars apart and reassemble them with mismached parts. the chevy hood on the trunk looks ??? well ??? STUPID  just my 2 cents

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
Sorry, I missed where it mentioned the Kaiser parts in the story, duh.... 
I kinda like the head lights, and the extended side trim on the rocker panel, as if in practice you need more trim to hold the moisture and dirt to the steel, but it looks nice. Of course it is over the top.  Just look at what the factories were doing in 1958-59. 
I guess when I see a car modified like this today, ....or a hot rod, custom or what ever you want to call them.... I am hopeful that the doaner car was a wreck that otherwise would have been crushed, and gone forever.  If you don't restore a hopeless wreck, then better to keep some of the original's history and style to live on, even in caricature than to go extinct forever.
This is a debate that will go on, I suppose.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »
Aside from the spare tire sticking out of the trunk lid...which looks more like an afterthought...I like the car. You have to remember that the 50s was a time where most everyone into hot rods was trying to build a custom car. Many of them are best forgotten, but in my opinion, not this one. I posted a thread on the AACA site with a link to the slide show...we'll see if anyone knows what became of the car.
Here's a link to the thread -> http://forums.aaca.org/f169/50s-show-car-where-now-269676.html#post690128

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »
wow what talent, I thought he did a great job, there were a few things I didn't care for, such as the headlinghts seem to stick out without any chrome rings, and the tailights could have been better, small truck, hehe, and the dash could have been much better, such as the original Kaiser or a Studebaker hawk dash, but his talent to do that is great, yea the grille could have been better, but I love the cool slick looking convertible kasier look, kinda has the late 40's Lincoln style rear with the spare tire. I would love to have something like that, but I don't want to get kicked in the nuts for trying by weaz,  ;D hahaha. I'll just admire this one,  :)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »
It still exists, it was at a show featured in Hemmings last summer which is where I first saw it (in the magazine).  The web site details its restoration.  I'd like to see a side by side comparison to a '51 Kaiser, and I just happen to have a black one that would serve that purpose just fine!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

fatboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »
WOW ! WOW ! and WOW !   alot of very serious body work and design time   I LIKE IT !  the RAVEN looks like a Motorrama car built by the big three ! I am very impressed
51 Kaiser Traveler--2  door deluxe

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »
I was at 2009 Detroit Autorama showing my Darrin (took second place--did not have the top then).  The Raven was sitting across the aisle from me.  It is quite an impressive car up close--just like any Darrin!!  The signage that was at the Raven did give credit to the Kaiser panels used.  I know that most of us are purests, but I can give credit to anyone who can artfully meld metal into such a car.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
I like it and would love to cruise it around.   If it's a nice day I would leave the top by the side of the road and then pick it up on my return trip(?)   ;D