Author Topic: Radio  (Read 1079 times)

carbuff1941

• View Profile
    • Email
Radio
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
Hey Fid,  I see you repair radios.  The 1947 Frazer Manhattan I am hoping to get on the road some day has a radio in it.  It is really funny as there are two knobs in the plate where the radio face plate goes and they match all the other knobs on the dash panel.  There is no face plate with the "station" numbers on it.  Just the design on the plate that comes on a car without a radio.  Have you ever heard of such a set up?  There's a broken antenna on the driver's side back fender.  There is a radio in the car as I did look under the dash and can see it.  What a crazy car I have purchased!  The knobs do work as I can feel and hear a click on the left knob and the right one turns as a "tuning" knob should.  Would love to hear your thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
I would be willing to have a look at it. Since radios were not standard (although I thought I read somewhere they were on the Frazer Manhattans) you see a lot of after-market units in the cars -especially Kaisers. Some of the after-market units were made especially for KF and some were just "under-dash" units that could be installed in most cars of the era.  This nice looking Kaiser that Jake posted has after-market unit - looks like a Motorola.
This '48 Kaiser I saw in a salvage yard recently also has an after-market unit

And here's an original - the on/off knob is missing the face
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:24:38 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

carbuff1941

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
Fid, I will investigate further and see if I can find what make it is and take some pictures and hopefully be able to post them.  The knobs are small and "bullet" shaped; they are sort of an ivory color that matches all the other knobs.