Author Topic: Dash knob removal on Darrin  (Read 3050 times)

AvantiBob

Dash knob removal on Darrin
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:19:19 AM »
I am trying to remove the dash knobs (blower, lights, etc..) on a Darrin and cannot figure how it is done. There is a small hole in each knob, but it doesn't look like an alan screw. I tried putting a small round metal piece in the hole and pushing hard, but nothing happens. Does anyone know the trick?

Thanks in advance!

Bob Weir

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dash knob removal on Darrin
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
Try using a tiny slot head screwdriver that will fit in the small round hole in the shaft of the knob.  Push in and twist to the left and it should unscrew to remove the knob.  If it has been on there forever you might need to tap gently on the end of the knob to break it loose if it has rusted,  Good luck!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Darrin100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 01:39:52 PM »
I'm responding to an old post, I realize!  (Not sure if notifications are sent out to such replies?)  I'm having same issue with removing knobs.....  Gordy, your suggestion hasn't yielded results for me.   Can I spray some Kroil in there to help unfreeze the innards or might it create unanticipated negative consequences?   Thanks!
Wade D.  
1954 Darrin #100 (originally owned by my dad)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 04:41:09 PM »
the "inards" are no more than a very small hinged flap of metal that catches on a slot on the shaft.  You use something like a paper clip to push on it.  push too hard and it will break..don't push hard enough..knob won't slide off shaft.  Doesn't really matter, 'cause when you get the knobs plated, the little flap gets damaged in the heat.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 08:28:33 AM »
To properly remove the knob, a stiff paper clip, small flat blade screwdriver or stiff piece of wire is needed. The inside of the knob has a tab with a hole in it for the switch shaft to slide thru. The tab places tension on the shaft and the tension is what holds the knob in place. To remove the knob, insert the tool and try to place it behind the tab - it's sitting at roughly a 45 degree angle against the shaft with the lower half of the tab facing towards the dash. While gently tugging on the knob, pull forward on the tab which will release the tension and allow the knob to slide off. It is not easy and will take plenty of patience!

When reinstalling the knob, be careful not to push it on the shaft too far or it will bottom on the shaft and put a dimple on the center of the knob. Don't ask me how I know...