Author Topic: 3-D printer for tailights and lenses...???  (Read 3107 times)

FleetMaster

• View Profile
    • Email
3-D printer for tailights and lenses...???
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »
OK, have a couple 51 Frazers and have noted other threads that considered making new taillight lens and the limited scope and tooling cost was prohibitive.  Understood.  Last night had an AH- HAA!! moment.  New 3-D Printer technology uses a resin bath or solution and a laser or similar energy catalyst or even plastic deposition to build real items from computer graphics files or scans or engineered drawings.  SO, would someone in the club familiar with the technology investigate if a media exists suitable for making lenses- tailight red and marker clear.  Also will the result weather well and survive temperature extremes.  Now develop a cost if the media exists to buy a low end ( slow ) printer. If this will work, we would want NOS lenses to scan and develop a file of stock items.  Order is placed with manufacturing fund and ANY YEAR, ANY MODEL lens can be made- to order or small batch inventory.  May even be better to contract out rather than buy a printer.  I may still be dreaming but this sounds too good and easy to be true.  May even be a business plan option for someone to meet the market niche for all makes for low volume lens replacements where stocks have dried up.  Or custom lenses ( yeah Federal law concerns ) that are built on a standard mounting base but are new shapes. or logo or initials moulded in or even shaped like an animal head or a person's face.  Thoughts?  OH, and what about knobs and interior trim pieces from opaque plastics?  Could this even be used to build a new steering wheel around a clean steel core?  High strength plastics to form new taillamp or signal lamp housings that are then plateable plastic where the original potmetal or steel is too bad or good cores are gone? Enough said- Thoughts?
1923 T Roadster- stock
1951 Frazer Convertible
1951 Frazer Vagabond home couple weeks
1953 Packard Clipper Sedan
2 into 1 1953 Packard 8P sedans- project
1954 Hudson Hornet 4D sedan plus 2 1954 Wasp 2D sedans
1959 Rambler 6 Sedan
1961 Studebaker Hawk 289 3spd od
1964 Studebaker Avanti
1974 Avanti II

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3-D printer for tailights and lenses...???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »
Note the '51 Frazer lenses were reproduced in summer of 2011. We still have a few left from a second production. We have no intention of any further production. But presumably there still exists a need for the '54 Kaiser lower lenses.

http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3222.msg13384.html#msg13384

Note also, we attempted reproduction of the '51 Frazer grille emblem but the reproducer just could never get the bright gold satisfactory to folks, so the only one reproduced is destined for one of my '51 hardtops.  You can probably do a search and find the thread that shows the emblem. Perhaps the 3-D technology could be used for the emblems and many other items.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

FleetMaster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:41:23 PM »
OK, emblems another idea for the 3D printer.  Who has the 51 Frazer lenses?  Are they through the club "store" but not on the list in the monthly newsletter?  This new boarder would like to know.

SK
1923 T Roadster- stock
1951 Frazer Convertible
1951 Frazer Vagabond home couple weeks
1953 Packard Clipper Sedan
2 into 1 1953 Packard 8P sedans- project
1954 Hudson Hornet 4D sedan plus 2 1954 Wasp 2D sedans
1959 Rambler 6 Sedan
1961 Studebaker Hawk 289 3spd od
1964 Studebaker Avanti
1974 Avanti II

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
My wife and I took on the task to have those reproduced. Time keeps moving forward and we wanted to get it done. You might notice too if you do a search, that the Frazer and Manhattan door and trunk scripts were reproduced soon after. I provided the basic used trunk script for that reproduction and they turned out nice, in stainless rather than chrome so they will last longer. I see these scripts on ebay from time to time. I see you have similar orphan car interests to us, i.e., Frazer, Hudson, Packard, Studebaker, and AMC.
Link to scripts: http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3903.msg17265.html#msg17265
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan