Author Topic: Benedict Castle Concours  (Read 1701 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Benedict Castle Concours
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:08:03 AM »
I attended the Benedict Castle Concours (www.CrossroadsCarShows.com) yesterday with my newly aquired 1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe and was awarded 2nd place in my category that had 15 very nice vehicles in it (the judges told me this).   Maybe it was the "presentation" part of the judging that put me over the others.    It was the first time, for me,  my Kaiser Traveler was judged in a Concours environment.

There were over 300 vehicles and a few outstanding vehicles from the Nethercutt and Petersen Automotive Museums as well.

I spent most of my time explain who Henry J. Kaiser and Howard "Dutch" Darrin were and many of their innovative vehicles they designed, like the Traveler and Darrin.   I receive a lot of "What kind of car is this", "I've never seen these cars before" and most often "thank you for bringing your car".   People need to see them, often.    One of the Judges , for the show, I talk with at lunch has a 1929 Packard he drives to Starbucks, just for people to see the car and they appreciate our efforts to share.

54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Benedict Castle Concours
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Congratulations!  It looks great and thanks for getting it out there for people to enjoy!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:51:49 PM »
Congratulations!!! We wanted to take our 51 but had some other things to do so I am glad you are representing. We are going to have to coordinate what shows we are going to. Now you know what we go through when we go to shows. How about a photo of the back? We usually have the back towards the walkway/people so they can see we are not like all the other cars.
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
To me, my Kaiser front end rivals any car out there.   It seems to attract people to the car.  As they get closer, the open tailgate gives them another "ohhhh!!!!".    I love seeing the double surprise responses to this car as people take in its unique utilitarian qualities.   

I am told you should have been at the Whittier Classic Car show as well, which I attended.    I am signed up for the Hunting Beach Concours, June 7th.

I have also applied to the Palos Verdes Concours D'Elegance car show, since they are honoring cars designed by Howard "Dutch" Darrin.   I don't know if they will let me in or they only want Darrin cars.   My Darrin will not be done in time for that show.
54 Darrin # 81

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
What with the new home in Oregon, going to Russia for 2 months and other activities, we aren't going to as many shows this year. We did Palo Verdes a few years ago when they featured Darrin designed cars. http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1168.0;attach=58;image
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
Very nice amongst all those Darrin's and the one Darrin Jr.!
54 Darrin # 81