Author Topic: Manifolds Separated, Valves Out  (Read 1648 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Manifolds Separated, Valves Out
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »
Got the intake and exhaust manifold separated today. No significant damage. I soaked the studs in penetrating oil for a few days then used a putty knife and hammer to loosen them. After I created a big enough gap I used a small chisel and gently tapped it until the manifolds began to pop loose. I was really worried but I got them loose with no serious issues. I also managed to tap out that center stud on the exhaust manifold. The one I had to cut. One less thing I have to pay the machine shop for. Got the other end out of the block safely too.

I got my valve spring lifter tool in the mail today. Used it to remove valves, keepers, and springs. That last valve in the back that I couldn't get unstuck was a BEAR! I had to use a slide hammer to get it out! The valve guide is TOAST. Rusted and pitted badly. Found out why that other valve was sticking too. The guide on that one is CRACKED. So that's two valve guides I need to replace. Anyone have tool number KF-27 valve guide remover/installer? Doubt I'll find an original. Need to look for an approximation though. EBAY maybe.

I also found that a lot of my valve related parts don't match. Some of the exhaust valves are a different type/brand. Also, the two valves that are directly in the center of the block have completely different valve spring bases/holders. They are about twice as thick as all the others and appear to be a two piece part. Anyone know what's up with that? I can get pictures after I clean them up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:07:08 AM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Manifolds Separated, Valves Out
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »
KF used two different style lifters and valve locks on their cars. The lifters were matched to the camshaft - some were steel and some were cast iron.

The company also used different manufacturers for their valves so their appearance will vary. I've opened original engines and found three different style valves.

I have TRW part numbers for the valves, springs and guides and I'll post them with the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:34:09 AM by joefrazer »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Manifolds Separated, Valves Out
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
Here are the TRW part numbers:

Piston - L3107F
Rings (moly) - T1916M
Valve spring - VS541
Lifter - VL45 (compare to yours for match)
Valve guide - G515
Exhaust valve - S1824
Intake valve - V1825
Hard seat exhaust - IS100
Hard seat intake - IS104
Rod bearing (1-3-5) - CB465
Rod bearing (2-4-6) - CB466
Main set - MS2889
Cam bearing - SH190S

And, pictures of the two lifter types used. On the left is the 51-55 style, on the right is the type used from 1947 thru 1950.