Author Topic: Headliner  (Read 12251 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Headliner
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
To all the Kaiser car owners with the vinyl head liner. I have done 3 car head liners and they arnt that bad to do. following are some tips, the replace the cardboard tack strip with new plastic 1/2x1/2 from SMS does a great job, use a good staple gun to fasten it to the head liner. If you ruin the head liner a new one is available complete from SMS in kaiser colors. the problem that caused to rusting/rotting was the vinyl did not allow any breathing thru the vinyl

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 08:09:39 PM »
Hi,

I saw the item about an article for the "monthly".  I think it would be better for the QUARTERLY so details can be covered better and more pictures can be used.  If you have something that will run more than 2 pages in the double column format (including pictures) I think it would work better in the magazine.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 02:46:48 PM »
SMS AUTO UPHOLSTERY IN CANBY OREGON HAS THE BAMBU AND NUBBY BOUCLE TO MAKE YOUR HEADLINERS, THEY HAVE A COMPLETE PATTERN FOR 52-55 . I SENT BOTH TO DOUG POLLACK AT SMS THIS YEAR, FIND THEIR PHONE & ADDRESS IN THE MONTHLY BULLETIN OR THE KAISER PARTS INTERCHANGE LIST

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
Or visit their website -
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »
So, how do you take the headliner out to get to the bows, assuming my loops have not torn through and the bows just need to be held in place?  Do you need to take the windlace out too?  Is the headliner stapled in?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »
I think you would be right about putting together an article about replacing headliner and/or windlace in the interior as it will naturally deteriorate over time no matter how well the car is stored.  It would need pictures and/or drawings to show what is what so someone not versed in upholstery could do the work (or at least have a fighting chance to do it right).  That would require several pages, making it material for the QUARTERLY not the monthly bulletin....the bulletin is for meet information, stuff for sale/wanted and short bits and blurbs.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
The windlace "tack strip" does have to be removed. The windlace itself depends on if it's stapled over or under the headliner. Usually it's under but you never know.  The headliner is stapled or tacked into the inner strip which is glued to the body.  You tip the bows backward or forward and unhook them from the clips that fasten them to the pinch weld above the windows.  You'll see what I mean when you try the first one.  After the headliner is removed, you then slide the bows out of the headliner.  I'd recommend buffing the rust off them and primering them before installing them in the new head liner.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
Superk226, you said that you got into your headliner and repositioned the bows.  I'm pretty sure this is what I need to do, but I don't know how to go about it.  Do I remove the windlace, or is the headliner (on a '53 Dragon) over the windlace?  Orphanauto, has your offer to do a piece on this in the quarterly been taken up?  I'm getting impatient having the thing drag on my head everywhere I drive, but I don't dare rip into it without knowing what I'm doing.  I'll try to be patient, because it looks like we have a large knowledge base out there about the proper procedure for doing this.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
I would love to do an article on it, with pictures. My problem right now is my 53 is original and the headliner is perfect, therefore, mine doesn't need done.  IF I find anyone in my area that needs a headliner done, I will do the labor for free, They will just have to buy the headliner from SMS or wherever. Then I can take digital photos and explain how I am doing it. Anyone interested in having theirs done? I live in the s.w. mo. area, between Springfield, and Joplin Mo. I will be contacting all the KFOIC members in my area for a local car show on July 3rd this coming month. While I do that, I'll check to see if anyone in my area is interested in having this done. I have a friend who has a 46 Dodge pick up. He has burlap for seat covers, so I think I will show how to make a pattern for new seats, if ALL you have is springs, and no material left for a pattern. should be interesting for those who like to drag a car home thats been sitting for so long, the material has been eated by rats, or the sun, or....   Please let me know what you would like to see in the article along with ( specific questions ) or besides the headliner. I am not a expert, but have done some before, including complete interiors, so I would love to do my part in helping the club. Thanks... :)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »
Hey Orphanauto, do you plan on coming to the national convention?  If so, I would certainly volunteer my car for your services  ;D, since I'm in Austin, which is quite close to the convention site.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
Sorry, I will not be able to make the national. I wish I could, then I could do a live hands on seminar and show everyone interested in how to do it with your car. If I get a chance to do a national, I would be interested in doing that. I am sorry I won't be able to make it this year.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
Will San Diego in 2011 be in your travel plans.  If so let me know and I will help you get such a training session setup.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »
There are many ways to mess up a headliner installation and it needs to be perfect in all corners and the bows need to be tight,  If you have all of the material to do it, it won't cost much to have a professional upholstery shop install it correctly.  They do them frequently, quickly and properly.  I would not take a chance with all of that glue!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
That might be the ticket for now.  I might just get an estimate to see what we are talking about, and what they recommend.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »
Many moons ago I ordered a headliner kit from JC Whitney for my 51 Kaiser Deluxe. They advertised "complete kits" which included windlace, tacks, glue etc. They had detailed directions in the catalog in those days and you had to show on a drawing all the bows and the distances between them etc. Well I got the kit ok but the first thing I noted was there was way too little windlace and I complained and gave them the amount needed based on actual measurements on the car--it takes about a "mile" of the stuff for a 4 door. (I procrastinated for weeks on attempting to install the kit until finally I made an effort which I soon aborted when it looked like it could not possibly fit. I went over to an old time upholestery shop and told them my problem. He found out I had a pond at my place and he said how about if he drops by and takes a look at the car (and the pond for his grandkids to fish in). I had the seats out of the car and just a wooden crate in it that I used to drive to move the car around. He took the headliner and the bows and hopped in and sat on the box and I turned to look out at a passing car. When I looked back he said ok it is going to fit. He already had put all the bows in and inserted all the hooks along the sides...

On the spot I made a deal for him to do the headliner and make new door panels and also to redo the seats. There was enough material to recover the sun visors also.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)