Author Topic: remove rear tire?  (Read 6006 times)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
remove rear tire?
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
I'm sure everyone but me knows this- just tried to remove the left rear tire on my '51 to pull the brake drum, have the car jacked way up, there does not seem to be enough clearance between the brake drum and the fender for me to drop the tire. What's the secret?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: remove rear tire?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »
Raise the rear of the car so the wheel hangs with no support. Remove the fender skirt and let out most of the air from the tire. I've found it easiest to have both rear wheels hanging.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
Got the tire off and removed the cotter pin and nut from the drum. Seems solid-  is a puller required?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »
Aborted the plan to take off the drum since I don't have a puller. Need the car for a movie scene this weekend and unable to get the tire back on. It is such a tight fit between the fender and brake drum that when I lower the car onto the loose wheel/tire, the tire wedges and can hold up the car's weight. That's with all the air out, and tilting the tire in assorted directions. Not a big K-F fan at this moment. How could someone possibly change a rear tire beside the road? Tires are 205R, maybe that's the problem but that's what I've got.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
I made a puller for my 49. If you decide to pull the rear hub let me know and I'll let you use mine.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I dodged the bullet - got the tire back on by moving it well forward of the axle, lifting it up and tilting it on the hub. Then test drove it and for whatever reason the brakes no longer lock up. I'm sure they will in the future at the most inopportune time, but for now, I'm back on the road.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
Ok.  Just let me know if you need it. I fought a rear cylinder on the passenger side until I finally gave in and rebuilt it. Works like a charm now but had to build a puller to get the rear hub off. Too impatient to order one.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »
Quite often the previous owner installed "shock absorbers " that had not been Kaiser sized meaning the shock will not let the axel drop to a clearance for the tire.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »
Had no idea the axle was supposed to drop further- looks like new shocks may be in order. Hopefully I can get the right ones.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
Years ago when leaf springs got weak, people would install overload coil spring shocks to assist the leaf springs. When you had a
flat the bumper jack would lift the car and the axle would not drop enough because the overload shock would hold it in place. I
never had a problem with KF products unless some one put oversize tires on the rear. Letting the air out can help, but even then
it can be a problem because how do you air up a oversize tire once you get it on.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
Maybe the oversize tires are the real problem. I think 205 radials are considerably larger than stock.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 06:29:36 AM »
1951 Kaisers were equipped with 6.70x15 tires with 7.10x15 available as well. 6.70 in metric terms is 195 75R 15 and a 7.10 tire works out to 205 75R 15. So, any should fit in the rear wheel well. Installing and removing original equipment tires was difficult on the rear wheels of all 51-5 full size Kaisers, even back in the day. The bumper jack is marginal at best at lifting the car to proper height and when used, usually curled the bumper...and then fell over. I recall my dad cursing the jack one evening as we tried to repair a flat rear tire.

I learned the trick of letting air out of the tire from an old time tire guy who remembered well the problems with Kaisers...and others like Nash. The secret is to get the drum as far below the fender line as possible because the distance between it and the fender is less than that of even a 6.70 tire.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
I bought a tripod jack as it did not bend the bumper like the standard bumper jack would. Maybe they can still be found
on the internet.