Author Topic: Edgar Kaiser's Henry J has been rejuvenated.  (Read 3393 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Edgar Kaiser's Henry J has been rejuvenated.
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
Although it ran and drove fine, I just completed major surgery on Edgar Kaiser's Henry J.  I had an exhaust manifold with a working heat riser I wanted to install in it last fall.  I knew it was risky trying to pull the manifold on a 60  year old car that had never been worked on but I had to try...  of course, the rear most stud wrung off as I tried to remove the nut.  On a J, that's back in  the little "alcove" on the firewall and impossible to get at with a drill or tap. I knew the only way to repair it properly was to pull the engine. The wrung off stud likely would've caused no problems but the fact is, I knew it was there and that bothered me.  The car always shook a bit when starting out so I knew the clutch was uneven/out of balance and binded just little when shifting from second to third so I figured I'll pull the engine, do the clutch, install new synchros and get it all fixed. It took two weeks but I got it all done.  It's raining but I did take it for a drive this morning - what a difference!  I need to adjust the clutch pedal a bit, tighten the header pipe to manifold bolts but other than that is seems pretty good. It's Memorial Day so I'm not going to do any more work on it till tomorrow.

Manifold stud:

New manifold stud:

Transmission / overdrive rebuilding:

Transmission and new throwout bearing going back onto the freshly painted engine

Engine going back in car:

Finished product:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:51:33 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Edgar Kaiser's Henry J has been rejuvenated.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
S W E E T
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:08:24 PM »
Nice work!
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »
Putting that motor and tranny back in without removing the front clip must have been tough. GREAT work.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »
Putting that motor and tranny back in without removing the front clip must have been tough

It's actually not that difficult at all. I did both (remove and install) by myself.  You connect the chain to the third set (from front) of head bolts and raise, pull forward, raise pull forward and it comes right out without scruffing/scratching the firewall (I recommend first removing the overdrive relay and heater valve).  Going back in, just the opposite - lower it, push it back, lower it, go underneath and raise the rear of the trans with a small jack, lower the front some more, raise the back till the mount eventually clears the cross member. Then you just lower and push back and eventually, it goes into place.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
I've pulled  an engine and also dropped a couple of xmissions. Hard work but it does not give me the heevy geevys like the prospect of getting that hood back on correctly! I think that puts you in a rarified category.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:56:35 AM »
Oh sure, NOW you mention the hood on a J...I just removed mine yesterday! Wish me luck!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
The hood - funny you should bring that up Jim B!  That was the one sticking point.  I've pulled and reinstalled the hood on a J a few times but never on this one. I got stuck and could not get it to line up with the stud / bolt holes. Good thing the wife was home and I could reach my cell while teetering the hood on my head!  Once she held / balanced it I got the bolts / holes one side lined up but the other was really a bear!  I got it back on though. A strange thing appeared in the sky today - I think they call it "The sun" and there was no  more water falling from the sky so I was able to take the car for a ride. I had to make a few tweaks but it's all done and working great now.
I should mention that before I removed the hood I took a scribe and marked where the hinges  were. This is the only '53 HJ (OK, the title and tags say '51 but I still say it's a '53) I ever saw where the hood lined right up and did NOT scuff anywhere.  After reinstalling it, I am proud  to say that is still the case. I don't know what they did with this car but to have the hood not scuff on the new style Js is a miracle.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:53:41 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »
Nice work Lowell!  The car looks great.  I hope your dad gets a kick out of riding around in it when he comes to visit.  All the best.

Alan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
Thanks Alan. I've been driving it all weekend and it really drives nice now - no shake when starting out and it shifts like a new car.  Not to mention the manifold heat riser now works!
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
Maybe everybody knows this but to get hood hinges back where they were,drill a small hole thru the hinge and hood before removing. Then when installing stick a nail in the hole.