Author Topic: standard versus automatic crankshaft  (Read 1488 times)

• View Profile
    • Email
standard versus automatic crankshaft
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
How can you tell the difference between them ? Have casting numbers but understand it is hole size. HELP
 ???

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: standard versus automatic crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
The crank used in the automatic transmission has a larger hole at the transmission end for a pilot bearing. Of course, I don't have its size offhand but I'll check my documentation to see if it's noted.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
THIS IS UPDATED FROM LAST NIGHT

According to the 1951 Kaiser & Frazer parts books, the standard crankshaft (p/n 207146, both makes) came with a bushing; the hydra-matic crankshaft (p/n 209227) does not come with the pilot bushing (separate part) and uses a different design flywheel.  The same part numbers as listed here seem to be carried through Kaisers into the 1955 model year.

Attached to this is a .pdf file listing engine numbers involved in an attempt by the Detroit Engine Division to rework the standard transmission crankshaft for use in engines set up for the Hydra-Matic.  Please read the cover page carefully; you will see that these reworked crankshafts should NOT be used if the engine gets an overhaul or rebuild; replace with the proper part number.

Oh yes, as far as the Service Bulletin indexes go, the dealer & distributor service bulletin Mr. Alexander refers to was never released.  This is the only information out of the factory on this subject.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:02:36 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »
yes if someone does have the crankshaft hole diameter and depth that would help a lot.
Will run the numbers against casting numbers i have

thanks all

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
Attached are a few photos of standard and hydramatic cranks. The standard unit is on the left. The difference is apparent with the hydramatic unit having a larger pilot hole and a thicker flange.

Hope this helps!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:25:38 PM »
thanks that what I needed. Pictures worth 1000 words