Author Topic: routing heater hoses  (Read 3053 times)

AA Martinez

• View Profile
routing heater hoses
« on: July 23, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »
need help with knowing which way the heater hoses are to be routed or connected to core box 1953 Willy's aeroeagle with 226 super hurricane engine

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: routing heater hoses
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »
Here you go!

AA Martinez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
Great! thats kind of how i got it going, the only difference is the ports to my car come out of the front of core box..i will post photos soon so my situation can be seen.. thanks that photo certainly helps..

AA Martinez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »
well i was unable to get photos uploaded correctly, still trying excited about showing the work i have done on 53 willys aeroeagle hardtop, pretty much just taking one piece at a time off clean and reassemble. new hoses, break and fuel lines, breaks, tires also have replaced bad wiring in the engine compartment although at this point did not use the factory style wiring just correct size, cut back into harness far enough to get to good wire, butt spliced and re wrapped all wire almost ready for the road! I'm aiming for labor day weekend, we here in Alamosa Colorado have a car fest that weekend called the Early Iron Festtival every year for the past thirty-five years what a great time it is food, drink, cars and music and of course cruising i know it won't be no show car by any means but just the fact that its a great looking car, a piece of history and just to be able to add more and more to the vehicle year to year. or heck i may just leave it as it is so that history shows, right as long as it gets down the road safely runs well if its not broke don't fix it! " unless you have a ton of cash" anyhow just babbling on now… parts wanted;left and right tail light housing /head light trim rings/ hubcaps or trim rings or both windshield washer knob i do have one hub cap its the full size disc with the "W" surrounded by red circle.  any leads will be great!  thanks in advance..AA

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
I have some used Aero stuff. Send me a list of your needs in an e-mail: aeroman@aol.com. Got a lot of odds and ends and I'm stripping out an Aero right now. Check out Facebook's Willys Aero Survival and Preservation page. Also check out the Aero Registry page.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

AA Martinez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »
that sounds good i will get together a list of parts needed,   ok now i have got the car put back together with all hoses to heater core ran,  test started and motor seem to get very hot very quick.. opened port on the head seemed to be better now leaking and hissing under dash at valve.  asked a few guys around and everyone seemed to be baffled at the situation, question: does port on head need to be in the open position if connected to heater core also are the temp.valves available or how do fix the valve???  before it was not connected the was a plug on water pump and no hoses connected to core box, now i know why and it makes sense as to why there is rust more in the area below valve then anywhere else on the car..so now that seems to be my dilemma now,  how toy fix valve>>>  no luck getting photos posted either still keep trying<<<

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
The port on the cylinder head when open allows hot coolant to flow into the heater core. The hissing is due to the leak. As coolant enters the heater system, the air being displaced is exiting thru the leak. Sometimes, just leaving the controls open with the car running will cause the seals to swell and the leak to stop...especially if the system hasn't had coolant in it in a long time.

Willys used a different style valve than KF and I recall in my 54 Eagle that it leaked for a short time, then stopped. Regarding a repair kit, I am not aware of one being available, but other Willys guys may be better informed.

AA Martinez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »
thanks, i will give that a shot and keep my fingers crossed that cures the problem after all it was a small leak maybe sealing is the issue thanks Joe will let you know the results. :)

AA Martinez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
no luck still got the leak,  only when, i guess the valve is in the open position.  now whats the difference between the ronco and the Harrison or how does a person know one from the other? and are they both repairable or replaceable?

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »
The heater control valve was Willys part number 679438. I do not know for certain, but I believe it was built by Ronco. Here are two shots of one pulled from a parts car, along with the correct grommet (could not find a part number - perhaps it came with the valve from Ronco?). There is someone associated with the club who was rebuilding these at one point.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

AA Martinez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
yeah that for sure looks like the one i pulled from the 53, and no grommet here one more piece i may need someday..gave it a few more tries at heating it up it did seem to get somewhat better but just not sealing totally. one more question on wipers, behind switch on dash there are two vacuum lines>>where do theses need to be ran to? or do they wipers seem to work without them being connected to anything..

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
I had mine rebuilt by Lance Walker in Concord NC.  He advertises as repairing Ranco valves.

Did an excellent job.  Owned car for 8 years and never leaked.  704.792.9110 is last # I have for him. :)

Mike
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:25:14 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
one more question on wipers, behind switch on dash there are two vacuum lines>>where do theses need to be ran to? or do they wipers seem to work without them being connected to anything..
They will not work unless connected. Many years ago, I saw a Willys Aero with the Trico bottle for the windshield washers hooked up. Unfortunately, I never looked close nor did I take any pics. I have never seen another Aero with the washers installed. I would check out any other car from the same era that has the Trico glass jar, trace their vacuum hoses and set yours up similarly.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com