Author Topic: Is it a 'Custom'  (Read 1456 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it a 'Custom'
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/kaiser/unspecified/1768701.html

For sale on Hemming's site. Car has 'Custom' on fender and rocker trim which only the '47/'48 Custom had. A '48 Custom is super rare. This one lists the VIN as begining with K481...  which indicates a Special. A Custom would be K482...    Anyone know  this car? Is it really a '48 Custom?  Looks nice and a '48 Custom with leather upholster is extremely rare.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:16:53 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it a 'Custom'
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
Remember too there were around 10,000 or so Kaiser Specials built during the 1948 model year with Custom interior upholstery and trim.  The factory sent a memo out to dealers on this so they would not get concerned that the line screwed up.  The memo doesn't give a serial number range but based on dates in the document it looks like May-June or so of calendar 1948 for production.

The next release of KFOCI HANDBOOK has the info I have gathered so far on this; right now, all my stuff is packed up for the move to Washington state.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
No, this car is not a Custom and no, it is not one of them that was trimmed out in Custom form. I know the owner and have been told this car started life as a Special and he had it trimmed as you see it. It is well done and rides like you're on your sofa.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
Thanks Joe. I know I've posted pictures of the original leather that was in the '48 Custom we had back in the '70s and it looked nothing like this one. Other things about that Custom - chrome inside window frames, fancy trim in the trunk (nothing like the that in the ad which is clearly not original), large Frazer Manhattan style door arm rests and Frazer horn ring. Very cool car.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
That is a pretty generous price for a slab-sider. If it truly was a Custom, it would be worth it but I wonder how disappointed the buyer will be when he (or she) finds out it is not what it appears. Of course all of the upgrades may make it worth the extra cost regardless. It is one gorgeous car to be sure.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
The sale price is more than the seller was asking in the open market. I'm sure he's pleased with the result.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
What I was getting at was the seller open and honest about what the car really is?  If so, great! No question it is nice.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe