Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 2541 times)

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
Hi all,
I am a new owner of a 1954 Manhattan and a new member here so please forgive me if I am on the wrong area with this question. My car will be delivered later tonight, it was purchased from a dealer so I had no previous owner to ask any questions, and I have no idea what has been done to the car. All that being said my first question is about fuel requirements, not knowing if the valves or seats have been changed should I add a lead additive to the gas or were these cars designed to burn unleaded like my Model A was, any help I can get will be appreciated .
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »
Welcome to the club forum and the KFOCI! When new, the engines were designed to run on a lower octane fuel that, of course, had lead as an additive. Since lead is long gone, we today try to substitute other chemicals to make up the difference. I would assume your engine was not rebuilt with hardened valve seats so you may want to add something to the fuel to aid in cushioning the seat if you plan to drive your car more than just occasionally. Myself, I use Marvel Mystery Oil. I add a few ounces with each tankful and so far, so good. I'm sure others have what works best for them so we'll see what they have to say.

By the way, post a picture or two of the new car!

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the info.
1959 Mercury 4 Dr

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:35 PM »
I use the non-oxygenated fuel available for these types of vehicles (no ethanol).  You can usually find a place to buy by searching on line. I also ad a Lead Substitute which I get at O'Reilly's or NAPA. Been doing it for years with no problems.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks to all for the info, I will definitely use a additive based on your suggestions. The car was delivered about 10PM last night so I didn't have a chance to explore it much. Needless to say that will be done today and as expected the fuel gauge shows empty so I will use your advice right away. I will post a few pictures of it later, thanks again for all the help.
Bob
1959 Mercury 4 Dr

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »
I don't know what part of the world you live in, but some gas stations in my area (Atlanta) offer ethanol-free gasoline next to their regular gas pumps. I run normal regular unleaded in my antique cars and every few tanks I drive the extra miles to a Raceway gas station and fill it with ethanol-free gas. It's a bit more expensive but my car seems happier afterward. I don't add any additives to my tank except an occasional Seafoam gas treatment about every 4th tank load. I probably should use some sort of lead additive, but my cars only get light use.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »
 :( I have been trying to post 3 pictures but it hasn't worked, today I will try 2 and see what happens.

1959 Mercury 4 Dr

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
On vacation in N.C. last week. Regular gasohol was $187.9 in myrtle Beach. Real gas (no alky) was  $246.9 in Oak island for 87 octane and $265.9 for 92.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »
BP stations advertise ethanol free premium. You can search your zip code on the internet for gas stations with ethanol free gas.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:52 PM »
Nice looking '54 by the way!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
Just took a road trip to Fargo in my truck, bought straight gas there and also in western MN both ways. Quite a bit more expensive than gasohol but my truck ran better and got a solid 1.5mpg more on the highway.

The extra cost vs mpg probably didn't work in my favor but in reality, gasohol doesn't either if you count the hidden ethanol subsidies funded by our taxes.

There's a neat site I visit from time to time to check where the good gas is http://www.pure-gas.org/
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
Almost all ethanol subsidies were terminated a couple years ago; that's why there is no real price difference than there was earlier (when Barbara & I lived in Cleveland, price differential with all taxes paid was between 40-50 cents a gallon, some places more). 

As long as you don't have a catalytic converter, it should be OK to run alcohol-free gas from anybody, otherwise you need to ask about additives used & compatibility with the converters.  The problem with lead was that it tended to bond to the platinum used in the assemblies making the converter useless. 

Hollenway

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
Bob.... Did you buy your Kaiser from Country Classic Cars ???   They had one that looked very similar to your car.   Enjoy your car - we're all here for you !!!!

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
Hollenway _ yes I purchased it from them, they seemed honest about it's condition so I just had it shipped here (about 1000 miles) it needs some sprucing up and minor repairs, that I  can see now. I Think I would do business with them again, I can see I have lots to learn about Kaiser s but learning is part of car ownership for me. Thank you for your offer of help, I'm gonna some.
1959 Mercury 4 Dr

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »
Almost all ethanol subsidies were terminated a couple years ago; that's why there is no real price difference than there was earlier (when Barbara & I lived in Cleveland, price differential with all taxes paid was between 40-50 cents a gallon, some places more). 

As long as you don't have a catalytic converter, it should be OK to run alcohol-free gas from anybody, otherwise you need to ask about additives used & compatibility with the converters.  The problem with lead was that it tended to bond to the platinum used in the assemblies making the converter useless.
I see some congressional interest from time to time for eliminating the ethanol subsidy but after reading your post, maybe I misunderstood and it could just the requirement for the blend. Don't think it's gotten any traction.
The straight gas at the pump now is still unleaded so there shouldn't be a conflict with a catalytic converter. The last leaded fuel left I heard of was aviation gas, and even that may be gone now.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu