Author Topic: Help with 1949 Frazer Convertible  (Read 1579 times)

diegorod05

• View Profile
    • Email
Help with 1949 Frazer Convertible
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »
Hi, My name is Diego Rodriguez. I am writing from Costa Rica. We are restoring a 1949 Frazer Convertible, which was in very nice shape. The car right know is painted and we are working on the upholstery and mechanical details.
I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help. I woul like to know if these cars cae with a chassis number, and in case they did where was it located (part of the chassis where it was stamped)??
I have only been able to find a seria number, which is located in a tag on the drivers A pillar.
I would also appreciate if you can tell me where is the engine number stamped, since I've found several numbers but I'm not sure which is the correct one.
Many Thanks!!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Help with 1949 Frazer Convertible
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »
Hello, Kaiser-Frazer did not use a chassis number. On some of the models, they stamped the serial number near the right front shock tower (on some cars, it might be on the left front). If you don't find it, don't worry as not all frames were stamped with the serial number.
The engine number should be stamped onto a tag that is on the driver's side of the engine, just behind the oil filler tube. If the tag is missing, on some cars, it's stamped into the block on the driver's side, just behind the water pump and just below where the cylinder head mounts. The number, if present will probably be hard to read because it was not very well stamped.
Any number you find cast into the engine is either a foundry casting date/time, or a factory part number. None of them were used as the engine number. And, the engine number never matched the car serial number since the serial numbers started new with each model year but engine numbers did not.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with 1949 Frazer Convertible
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
The 1949 Kaiser-Frazer Shop Manual (PAGE 4) indicates that the only automobile serial number carried is the door post plate.  It states that the engine number is on the engine name plate and at the upper edge of the engine block, driver side (USA type left hand drive driver side) in the area just above the freeze plug closest to the front of the block.

Can you please send the serial number tag information as well as the body tag numbers (this tag in on the firewall, passenger side towards the top of the wall)?  I am curious to see if this car started its life as an export model.   My e-mail address is kaiserfrazerlibrary@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Jack Mueller
Club HIstorian.