Author Topic: Modern radio in a '54 Manhattan  (Read 785 times)

IowaTom

Modern radio in a '54 Manhattan
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
Guys, I'd like to replace the tube set in my car - since the dash is out - with something new & lighter and was hoping someone has found something that will fit within our car's chrome surround.  I'd think a new 9" speaker would be more of a cinch to find.
Again, many thanks!

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Modern radio in a '54 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
I had the tube radio in my HJ redone with modern-day electronics; AM/FM with aux. input.  I now can drive 5 speakers with 250 watts, although I just drive 2 floor speakers sitting in the rear.
Since the car is 6V positive ground, I had to pay extra to drive the 12V negative ground electronics.
The redo weights a fraction of the original.
$$$ but it was well worth it to me since I drive the car often and still Rock 'n Roll.
goto   GaryTayman.com

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »
Thanks, Terry!  That's a great idea and certainly worth the investment.  I'm in contact with him.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:35:26 AM »
I am using the "under seat" speakers but there isn't enough room under the HJ seats so I merely set them on the floor area just behind the front seat.
One big woofer and 2 tweeters/ speaker.  The sound is great.

I plug my XM tuner into the aux. jack in the radio and tune to a '50's station---very appropriate at cruise nights and car shows!!

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:35:05 PM »
I just installed the Redi-Rad in my '53 Kaiser which is negative ground. They have the devices for any voltage setup however.   I had the stock radio restored and have front and rear speakers so it sound fine for me.  I can now play ipod, cd player, cassettes, hook up my cell phone for internet radio.   Very happy and it costs around $100.  No more crappy AM.   Check it out