Author Topic: Overdrive on 1955 Manhattan  (Read 1028 times)

ford35rod

• View Profile
Overdrive on 1955 Manhattan
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »
I recently purchased the car and the OD wasn't working.  I replaced the solenoid with a rebuilt one and the relay 20 amp fuse.  Being new to the Kaiser  automobiles I am not sure how to check out the OD .  Is OD engaged when the handle under the dash is pulled out?  Can I engage or disengage while moving or must I stop first?  Since I don't have a tach in the car, how can I tell if OD kicks-in?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Frank

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Overdrive on 1955 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
We also had some good discussion on it on this thread -

http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3737.msg21865.html#msg21865

A couple of short answers - the car will operate in overdrive when you have the cable pushed in.  Never try to pull the cable out when the car is in motion.  The owner's manual says not to operate the cable at all when the vehicle is in motion but you can push it in when the car is moving, just do not pull it out when the car is moving.
Another important thing to remember - when the cable is in, the car will freewheel, meaning the wheels rotate independent of the engine. This means as long as you have the cable pushed in (and you can leave it in all of the time, I do) you must put the car in reverse when it is parked, otherwise it will roll away! Repeat after me - if the overdrive cable is pushed in, put the car in reverse when it is parked!

Good luck.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »
An easy way to remember:
When the overdrive handle in pushed "in", the overdrive will then "in" gage (engage). When
you reach 27-28 MPH life your foot off of the gas pedal and you will hear a "clunk" as the
overdrive engages. Yow will feel a noticeable drop in RPM's even without a tachometer. The
clunk is the OD solenoid operating and the OD unit working.

ford35rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
Thanks to all for great info.  I will check it out tomorrow and see if OD engages over 30mph and disengages properly.