Author Topic: New KFOCI Handbook now in distribution  (Read 15109 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
New KFOCI Handbook now in distribution
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:10:19 PM »
I have been informed by Mike Barker that mailing of the new QUARTERLY issue is taking place.  He also informed me that some club members have already received theirs, but owing to the lag time for deliveries (Mike uses a lower-level postage rate to save money) it could be 6 to 8 weeks before they reach everyone.

This is worth noting because included in the QUARTERLY is KFOCI HANDBOOK VERSION 4.0 on a CD.  The various information files are .pdf, the same type files that Barbara uses for the e-mail version of the MONTHLY BULLETIN.  There are 698 pages of information covering cars, production facilities, and other neat things.  According to printer quotes, to run this off in hard-copy, black & white and punched for a 3-ring binder (but not bound) would run between $65.00-75.00 each;  to do the files on CD cost the club less than $1.00, including soft plastic case and shipping to Mike for the insertion.  Unless we did this on a CD, the KFOCI could not afford to supply this document. 

If your computer is equipped with Adobe Reader of a recent release level (I understand 7.0 or higher is OK) you can easily set it up so your computer will read you the text of the various files.  If you want to see something enlarged, you can also do this with Adobe.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded off the Adobe website free of charge, no strings attached or any purchase required (of course, they do suggest you buy stuff from them, but it's not needed to get Adobe Reader).   Instructions for opening files are in the QUARTERLY mailing.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New KFOCI Handbook now in distribution
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:44 PM »
Thanks Jack,  this will really be exciting and the best thing ever offered by the club.  We owe you big time for this!!!  I know it has been a tremendous amount of work.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
This is really good news indeed!  Kudos to all those who put in the hard work of getting this done.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:43 AM »
This took 2 years of hard work on my part, and almost didn't make deadline because my laptop crashed and a number of items had to be re-created.   As a result, the astute will note a few typos, etc, here and there which will be corrected on the next release which, if all goes well, will be somewhere around 2014.  It will either be version 4.1 with corrections and some additional information, or 5.0 which will open to a welcome page when put into the computer drive.  This welcome page will also have a link to a master index that in turn will hook into the individual files so you will just have to click on a subject...now you will have to open folders yourself.  I couldn't get a macro to work for these functions.

Mike Barker, Larry Hinrichs  and a few others were very helpful in allowing me access to their collections of photos and factory information to fill some of the gaps.  However, I know there is still information missing, such as Confidential Bulletins with dealer ordering information from the last months of 1950 (which may include some significant 1951 HJ information), the spring of 1949 and the 1954 model year (all makes/models).  If people are willing to share, they can e-mail me a list of what they have and I can e-mail back my list to see about trading good photocopies so both sides can expand their information base.   I am also looking for copies of certain pages found within Kaiser-Frazer Corporation Operating Reports for 1949, 1951, 1952 and into 1953.

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
FANTASTIC!! Can't wait!!

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
Wonderful!!!
Thanks to all that got this put together and distributed...

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »
Looking forward to it!
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
The staff of 3 people--me myself and I--who typed up the material, created the master CD, set up duplication (at a commercial facility) and got it out to Mike Barker for insertion into the Quarterly thank you all.  I hope you enjoy it.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
Great News!  I got the chance to review the draft of the new KF Handbook and it was fantastic.  Loads of great information and filled with lots of interesting photographs.

Congratulations to Jack and his team.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
Later versions of Adobe Reader have been criticized for being bloated and subject to hackers (I guess that last part is if you open a .pdf on line using Adobe as a plug-in for your browser.) If you want a simple alternative, you can try Sumatra PDF at http://portableapps.com/apps Look under the "Office" category.
What is a "Portable App?" One definition is a program that does not write anything to the registry in Windows. You install it to a folder, run it from that folder, and if you don't like it, you just delete the folder. Another definition is a program that can be installed on a USB flash drive (thumb drive) and run from the flash drive. You could place Jack's new Edition of the Club Handbook on a flash drive along with Sumatra USB and take it and view it on most any Windows computer - your son's or the computer at the library.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
Just when I thought I was going to die clutching the (now previous) 1993 Edition of the Handbook!!! 

Awesome job Jack, can't wait to receive it!  Thank you so much for taking over this long needed project and for spending many, many hours of labor and love bringing us current on the great history of these cars.  I certainly appreciate the work both you and Barbara do every day.  Thanks!!
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »
Speaking of Adobe Reader, I just uninstalled version 8....something.  It was crashing my computer.  Anyone else have a problem with that version?
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 06:33:46 AM »
We have Adobe Reader version 8 and have had no problems with it.  I do know, however, that there can be problems depending on the CPU set up some computers have and the level of Windows operating software being run. 

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »
I have just received mine in the mail, the handbook, the Quarterly and the calendar.  This is truly the best Christmas present I could have received!  Now I have even more determination to finish the Kaiser I started, even if it takes ten more years.  Thank you!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I did a bit more investigation on the Adobe issue raised by a couple of members....

The current version offered by Adobe for Adobe Reader is Version 9.  I have version 9 on the laptop with Windows Vista and it works fine.  Version 8 is on the regular home computer and it also works well...that machine has Windows XP.

It is important that anyone looking at adding any software to your computer these days carefully read the system requirements for operating the stuff before putting it on your computer.  A lot of the new and recent stuff will not work on any Windows system earlier than XP, and some of the newest upgrades do not work on XP....only Vista or Windows 7.  You also need to make sure that the working memory size in your computer exceeds the minimum requirements of the software (as well as type of processor). 

Microsoft and other companies are starting to abandon even XP in an effort to get people to buy new versions of software only for the buyer to find that his or her computer does not have the ability to use the new stuff (so they have to go out and buy a new computer as well).  Kinda like this HGTV thing.