Author Topic: Another addition to the fleet  (Read 22559 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Another addition to the fleet
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2018, 05:46:01 PM »
I've learned that the bracket with the holes was production update and most cars have it. I was able to thread the exhaust pipe into place by jacking up the car and removing the left front wheel. The height and extra space made the difference. Now all I have to do is wait for the engine to be finished at the rebuilder.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
the supplier must have changed something
they used the pipes that came off of my car to correct their mfg. fixture
Carl Hering supplied a pipe also
their muffler is the correct design also

they made a system for me and it fit without any problems, no jacking required

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2018, 05:05:07 PM »
Today was spent jockeying the newly rebuilt engine back into the Darrin. Surprisingly, installing the engine was much more difficult than removing it. It took four of us to get the engine positioned just right to meet the front motor mounts. Then, we spent nearly two hours trying to get he transmission cross member back in place and as of now, we've only succeeded in getting six of the eight cross member to frame nuts/bolts installed. This is obviously a much, much easier job with the body off the frame!

Now begins the time consuming task of reinstalling all of the bits and pieces that make the engine go.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Looking Good !!!
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
Much easier with the body off.
I probably don’t have to ask this but I can’t help myself you did put the round frame shims for the crossmember in the frame right. Usually the holes line up ok unless somehow the flanges got bent.
Looks great not much time before the convention (just kidding)
Good luck
Lee
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
None of the frame shims (round tubes) came out when the bolts were removed. I do recall that when I removed the cross member, it popped out of the frame like it was sprung. Definitely an interference fit!

My progress so far - all of the linkage is back in place as is the clutch pedal mechanism. The OD solenoid, cover and wiring has been put together and I installed the driveshaft as well. When the rebuilder took the engine apart, he removed the rear oil line elbow on the side of the block. It took me an hour to get the elbow lined up just right to allow the line to thread in. I had to remove the valve inspection cover with the breather tube to make things work. That's been the most difficult item to reinstall - but I do still have the exhaust to deal with. Wish me luck there!

I hope to have the car move under it's own power - for the first time in 44 years - by this weekend.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
Good Job
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
 I commend you for tackling this job. Keep on keeping on it won’t be long now.  Hope it is as much fun for you as it is for me. I have been Called out of my mind crazy for doing as many as I have done and now doing 3 at the same time.
Lee
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2018, 07:25:43 AM »
Two things I learned yesterday -

The exhaust pipe on a Darrin can only be installed with the engine out of the car. Fortunately, I had done that so I saved myself much time and heartache.

The exhaust system that Waldron's Exhaust puts together has the wrong size opening where it meets the manifold. The outlet on the manifold is 1 1/2", but the inlet on the pipe from Waldron's is 1 3/4". Not so bad except there's a 1/8" lip on the pipe that's to fit into the manifold as a seal. I ended up grinding the lip off to make things work. The bolt holes lined right up and a double gasket will avoid leaks.

All that's left now is to install the throttle linkage and oil filter and we'll see what happens when I turn the key!

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
obviously  they changed something 'cause mine bolted correctly to the manifold

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
So I’ve run into a brick wall. The engine is back in the car and all of the accessories are on the engine. I hooked up a battery and cranked the car to circulate some oil. I then dumped a little fuel down the carb and tried to start the engine. It cranks about a half dozen revolutions and then backfires. That sounds like timing to me... I think the distributor is 180 degrees off. I did not set the timing or install the distributor, that was done by the rebuilder.

What do you think?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »
Jim, did the builder make the cardinal mistake of installing the plug wires assuming clockwise rotation? Even though I know better, I've still done that and had to pop myself in the forehead. (DOH!)

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
It could be wires reversed or it could just be a couple teeth off. I think the manual could be more precise than it is, but maybe it's just me. Find #1 TDC on compression, your rotor should be somewhere close to 5 o'clock.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
I sent the engine for rebuild with the wires removed so I know he didn’t make that mistake. He did time the distributor so it is where it should be when #1 is at TDC (actually 5 before). Either I messed up the wiring order or the oil pump timing is off. Let’s hope it’s the former!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2018, 02:20:59 PM »
I spoke to the rebuilder and he times off the one o'clock mark for his f-head engines. So, I reset the spark plug wires and the engine started right up. It has 60 lbs of oil pressure and idles nicely. Next up, put a timing light to it and dial things in.