Author Topic: Another addition to the fleet  (Read 19964 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Another addition to the fleet
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
While sorting thru some small bags of extra parts, I came across four of these tags. I've never seen one before...have you?

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 07:29:37 AM »
Those tags went onto the studs that mount the seat belts in your Darrin. If you remove the seats, complete seat assembly, you will see studs sticking through the sides in the lower rear corners, where seat belts would normally be mounted. If the studs are gone, you will see the holes in the sides where the studs were. I have my seat belts mounted in my Darrin at the same locations. I do not know at what Darrin S/N these seat belt studs were started. There were 2 studs mounted on a steel sheet metal plate that came through the floor from underneath, and had aircraft style nylock nuts holding them in place. There were a total of 4 stud sets.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:31:37 AM by DTort96646 »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
Yes, my car has the studs (#183). I've never seen the pictured tabs before though. The car was stored in a building full of other material so I guess I better go hunting for the belts.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »
Jim, if the tabs were on the studs, then belts were never dealer installed. I suspect the tabs were removed by a subsequent owner, but it is interesting to see you found the tabs. I doubt if you will find factory belts, but good hunting and good luck with #183. Enjoy. Another thought, if you do find the original belts, I don't think they would be safe to use. Like tires, the belts would have a lifespan that has expired. They would be usefull patterns for new belts. There are companies that can remake belts from the original patterns.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:53:46 AM by DTort96646 »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
I think the car had belts in it at one time - there are marks in the vinyl consistent with the mount plate. The car itself was stored in a large pole barn together with several other vehicles, all disassembled to some degree over the years. So, finding the belts will be a bit of a challenge but not impossible unless the previous owner discarded them. And, I agree about their lifespan so if they are located, I'd have them rebuilt.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:46 PM »
Question for the Darrin group...what size wiper arm was used? My car came with a small box of arms and none in place on the car. There are three different sizes in the box so I don't know which to use. I do know the blade itself is an 11" unit.

I have - 11 1/4", 12 1/2", and 14" (all sizes approximate).

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
I decided today to drop the tank on the Darrin and have it professionally cleaned and sealed. I'm glad I did as it looks like I might need a new float!

Surprisingly, everything unbolted without any breaks or leaks. I did find about a gallon of foul smelling fuel in the tank...no doubt that's what killed the float. Fortunately, I have another.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »
Mine sat for 38 years but with all the gas removed.   It was in Denver and it is dry there, when I made sure the engine was ok, I put gas in the carb and it ran fine, I put gas in the tank and the fuel pump and gas tank worked for over two 1/2 years of driving.   I am replacing the fuel pump diaphragm and rebuilding the carb while it is down, though.   The gas gauge on mine was good.   I guess I was lucky.

Your tank looks yukey!!  WIll you be able to get a new float?
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »
Update - I got the tank cleaned and professionally sealed so it's good to go. About the sending unit, a quick look at the parts book and it uses a different number than the HJ, probably due to dash gauge. Does anyone have a source for a replacement? Mine is no good.

Also, looking for current part numbers for the upper and lower radiator hoses.

I've been making slow but steady progress otherwise. All four brake backing plates have been cleaned and painted, along with the suspension in the immediate area. I still have a lot of scraping and cleaning to get the 60 years of grease off the underside.

While removing the old brake lines, I noticed that the rear axle T was held in place with a muffler clamp. The T was nut and bolted to the clamp base at a spot on the rear axle tube closer to the center, rather than in the normal location. I'm guessing this is correct because the exhaust pipe would otherwise contact the hose. Am I right?

Attached is a picture of what I removed.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 08:02:39 PM »
Update - The tires have been mounted on newly cleaned and painted wheels, all fours shocks have been installed and I'm almost done stringing new brake lines. I cut off the old exhaust and I do believe it was the original. There wasn't much left of it.

Attached is a picture of a hanger that is welded to the frame, just ahead of the rear wheel. The exhaust pipe ran thru it...my question...is it a factory item? I have quite a few pictures of Darrins in various stages of restoration, but none of the frame with the exhaust installed. Can anyone confirm this is supposed to be there?

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 07:27:21 AM »
#145 doesn't have a bracket like that, in fact there is no hanger at that location. Gary.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
Thanks for the information - I suspected the bracket wasn't original to the car. The previous owner had cut the original exhaust at the point where it makes the turn and had added a deflector to kick the exhaust out under the fender and in front of the wheel. He must have added the bracket to support the rerouted pipe.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
Question to those who've restored their Darrin - I'm trying to source the flexible oil line that runs from the engine to the pressure gauge steel line. Has anyone replaced theirs and if so, can you pass along where you obtained yours?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 04:49:19 AM »
So, I guess I need to rephrase the question...anyone have a commercially available source for the rubber oil hose that runs between the engine and dash gauge steel line?

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
Personally I do not use any rubber hose on my cars for oil or gasoline. I use braided stainless lines and AN fittings. It's not factory correct, but I want to be able to drive and enjoy without worrying about oil or fuel leaks. Any speed shop or automotive supply house should be able to help.