Author Topic: Trying to start my '53 Deluxe so far......  (Read 2544 times)

Docs52

• My 1953 Kaiser Deluxe Sedan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Trying to start my '53 Deluxe so far......
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,
This is how far I have gotten to try to get my '53 Kaiser Deluxe  3 spd. w/ overdrive sedan running:
new plugs & plug wires
new battery & replaced battery cables
rewired all new color coded wiring around transmission up to overdrive relay & kickdown switch
new kickdown switch
rewired fraying wiring under hood & cleaned all terminals
replaced gas pedal (thanks Chris Luecht)
checked for frayed wiring under dash
replaced ignition switch (thanks JoeFraser)
sprayed starter fluid in carb, turn key and nothing.so checked wiring again, turned key nothing again. :'(
maybe starter solenoid is dead? maybe also the voltage regulator? so I tried to hotwire to see if could get to run....
gas is in the glass filter & sprayed more fluid in the carb, then took the lead to the starter, put it on the pos of the battery and it tried to start!
so I did again, it started and RAN for as long as the ether held out (after 3 yrs. according to previous owner)!!!!!! ;)
I think I need the rebuild the carb & fuel filter because not getting gas. 1st replace the starter solenoid, then maybe the regulator to see if I can start from the switch. no lights in the dash except high beam light red (maybe burned out)
used test light on switch, coil, regulator all getting power and headlights come on, change low to high.
Hope I am on the right track, any info would help....
Thanks,
Doc

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trying to start my '53 Deluxe so far......
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
I suggest using a gas can and run a line to fuel pump to see if it starts.   Your gas tank could be full of debris and gas line blocked

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
Shine a flashlight into the carburetor throat and operate the throttle linkage at the carb. Do you see gas squirt into the throat?
If yes you have gas, if no gas check the gas line into the fuel pump, If you have gas into the pump tighten line and loosen the line at the carb to see if gas is getting to the carb. If not the fuel pump is bad. If no gas to the fuel pump, the gas filter may be plugged or the line is
blocked. There may be debris in the tank at the fuel line inlet too.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »
I'd go real easy on the starter fluid. I know from personal experience that it can do disastrous things to an engine.
Just started a car I had stored 20yrs, after the first "pop" from a squirt of ether, I switched to gas down the carb to get it to run long enough to get the fuel system primed up.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
Also, how old is the fuel in the car?  If it's 3 years old, it may be your problem. Gasoline does get old and stale in a very short time these days. I agree with jmxkf1 - whenever we started a car that hadn't run in a few years, we always disconnected the fuel line and ran a line into a gas can with fresh gas.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Docs52

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:03 PM »
 :)Thanks everybody for all the fuel line suggestions, but, the line was disconnected from the fuel pump and the fuel tank was removed for checking for holes & cleaning. I also filled the fuel filter glass bowl with fresh gas, reattached it and still no fuel. So I am going to rebuild the carb, thoroughly clean the fuel filter and lines from the fuel pump hopefully that will fix that problem. Tomorrow replacing solenoid, points and condenser. I am hoping that will cure the turning over with the ignition switch or maybe changing out the voltage regulator? What do y'all think? I will hook up small fuel tank until I can get the fuel line blown out and fuel tank sealed. For my '53 where can I find out about all the bulbs for my car( dash, tail, turn signals bulbs..etc..).
Thanks,
Doc 

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »
Filling the old style fuel glass bowl with gas will not work as that is a sediment bowl. Hooking up a gas can to the inlet side of the
fuel pump will prove whether the fuel pump is working. This may save you trouble of rebuilding the carb. Most of the time it is the
fuel pump and not the carb. A new pump will have ethanol resistant parts. I got shipped mine to cantor with good results.

Docs52

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
 :)Well everybody,
I was able to turn my engine over with new ignition switch In the car, because, found out starter solenoid was bad and replaced it. One down, now getting power, but, not enough from just the battery. Have to put battery on charger then try to start. Now I can concentrate on getting continuous fuel to the carb.
Thanks,
Doc  ;)

IowaTom

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
Doc - Please tell me you put fresh oil in.  If you said you did, I missed it.  Like gas, oil has a lifespan and after even a year sitting, it can lose it's lubrication.
If you can hold or suspend a fuel supply above the engine (but safely as possible and not where a backfire would ignite) let gravity feed the carb.  If that keeps the engine running, I'd replace the fuel pump.

I had an undependable Avanti due to sitting and finally had to remove the gas tank and take it to a radiator shop where they cleaned and coated the inside.  Did the trick!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »
Between general age of vehicles and the current formulations for gasoline, it is important that you not only remove the gas tank and have it checked inside (with cleaning out and re-sealing done if needed in the opinion of the shop) but also have the fuel line to the pump blown and flushed out, with new flexible hose installed using newer material rather than the original rubber.