Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 1356 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Batteries
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
My brother-in-law restores antique tractors. He buys his 6 volt batteries from rural farm supply type stores. He paid $40 less for the
same capacity battery with a better warranty at a farm store versus a auto parts store. Wish I knew that years ago. There must be
a lot of old tractors still in use.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
There is a lot of older farm and industrial equipment still running 6 volt systems.  Tractor Supply Company (TSC) stores are across most of rural America and keep the type 1 case 6 volt on the shelf as a rule.  The last time I bought one (which, I need to state was a few years ago) it came with the threaded caps.  This is worth knowing as Sav-A-Battery filler caps of certain sizes/thread types will fit & were a (I know from experience) good thing to have as they warned of potential problems before the battery died the death.

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
Tractor Supply (TSC) and Rural King are different stores.  The last time I checked on 6 volt batteries, Rural King had the better price.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »
I know my local NAPA and O'Reilly stores want about $90 for a six volt battery. Fleetfarm has them for $45.  There are only 3 companies that make batteries so they are likely the same inside.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Hollenway

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »
Sam's Club has six volts for $79......   Don't know who makes them but they seem to hold up pretty well.
I use battery tenders from BatteryMart.com and I have had some of these batteries for over eight years with
no failures.   

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »
This got my curiosity, What brand did KF originally use when new? Willard, or?
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:10:57 PM »
The original primary vendor for K-F batteries was Auto-Lite.  Willard was secondary supplier and was used in a lot of 1947-49 automobiles.  I have never seen any factory issued materials noting Exide was also a supplier to the production line.  Again, we once had a Chief Judge who also sold parts and ran a restoration shop.  He couldn't get Willard or A-L so Exide became the standard even though the batteries he sold were in orange cases and were sealed like the old GM Freedom Battery.