Author Topic: Mayday Where to Start  (Read 846 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Mayday Where to Start
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
I'm back after a two year hiatus.  Need advice on where to start on the 53 Manhattan.  Quick background, this was my wife's car in College and my brother in law started the rebuild 25 years ago.  I'm determined to get her rolling again but will have to hound you guys as this is my first restoration.  My thinking is lets get it running first. Flat head six with hydromatic .  I have installed a new wiring harness throughout and can't wait to see what happens when I add power.  Also I am not worried about having all OEM, we just want to get her on the road and have some fun.

Supposedly the engine was rebuilt 25 years ago but looked pretty ugly.  Can you believe a whopping 115 HP in this boat.   I have replaced the water pump, fuel pump, voltage regulator, had the starter, generator and carb rebuilt.  The distributor looks rough so first question do I try to find a replacement or try to clean it up?  The vacuum advance is corroded looking nasty.  I have a new cap and wires and of course new plugs.  Once I get the distributor sorted out what precautions do I need to take before I try to see if it will start?

Next issue is the dash.  The bamboo vinyl is rotten.  With the speedometer removed I suppose now is the time to recover?  The people up in Washington State sent samples of the material and is much brighter than the dull white that my wife remembers.  Should I just take it to the upholstery shop and let them fool with it??

I have all new glass to install but that is another subject. 

TMI I know.  Any and all suggestions welcome.  FYI I'm North of Dallas if anyone is near by I would love to come over and get some first hand advice.

Many Thanks

Mark

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mayday Where to Start
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
Mark, I am in Louisiana, with the same enthusiasm, and will be watching your every move/question/answer.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
The dash material is a generic color. If your current cover differs, it can be spray dyed.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
I've brought a few old relics back to life recently, so I will try and help. First change the oil and filter if it has one. Messy job but necessary. Check the transmission fluid, make sure that it is still pink or reddish in color. After that you can check the points and condenser in the distributor and replace if they look burned or corroded. Since you said the vacuum advance is corroded replace it. Remove the spark plugs and add a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder. Using a socket and long ratchet rotate the engine around at least one full revolution. Put the plugs in, wires on and put about one shot of gas down the carb. Now try and start the engine. If you have a dwell meter and timing might it would be a good thing to have them attached. If you have a friend have them watch for leaks when the engine does come to life. Good luck with your 53.