Author Topic: A Very Nice Frazer Convertible!!  (Read 1124 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
A Very Nice Frazer Convertible!!
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
Here is a nice example of a Frazer convertible with a somewhat celebrated history……

54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Very Nice Frazer Convertible!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:41:48 PM »
Disclaimer - I don't claim to be a K-F historian!

However, it just seems odd to me that Henry J. Kaiser would keep a Frazer to drive around in. Yes, I know they were built by 'his' company, but with the less than happy parting between himself and Joseph W. Frazer you would think that he would not be caught dead in a Frazer-badged product.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
While Frazer and Kaiser, the men did not get along after the kick-back on the Muntz deal came to light in early 1948, the Frazer car was, by intent, the higher-end product of the company until such time that it was determined dealers did not want the cars in sufficient number to make its production costs viable.

For those interested in information on the Muntz deal, I would suggest you check out WestLaw for the Judge's decision (Justice Frank Picard, Federal Appeals Court) in the civil case of Pergament et. al. V. Frazer et. al, (cite as 93F. Supp, 13). under "Muntz Franchise" found on page 37 of the ruling. between "Rototiller" and "Permanente Metals".

In truth, Henry's favorite cars were Cadillacs and Jeeps  kept in the garages at the Tahoe property, at home and at the Henry J. Kaiser Corporation (later Kaiser Industries) headquarters building. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:07:48 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
Henry kept a Fiat Jolly on his estate, Portlock, in Honolulu. In 2001, I was in Hawaii and visited with a gent who was an executive with Rolls Royce Engines and was friends with Henry. He said HJK would zip around from one construction site to another in the Jolly and didn't seem to care much for traffic lights and stop signs. I would imagine Henry's large frame in that small Fiat was a sight to see!