Author Topic: HJ Vagabond  (Read 997 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
HJ Vagabond
« on: December 27, 2015, 05:39:09 PM »
The seller says it's a '51 but it has Vagabond script on the fenders - no continental kit. Looks like a workable car.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5301788323.html

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HJ Vagabond
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
It does look workable. Could be a Vagabond as we know from this forum, even though they were promoted as having a Continental kit, many of them did not and those that did cost extra.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
A lot of Vagabonds may have been sold without the continental tire kit.  We would need info from the Kaiser-Frazer Operating Reports for the 3 months ending 12/31/51 AND the report for the 9 months ending 9/30/52 to get an accurate percentage.  The Vagabond and Virginians were the only types to get the kit as a factory installed item on dealer orders (they could also get the kit on cars delivered at the factory).  Change in the rear splash pan and rear bumper did not allow this version of the kit to be put on 1952's and later; there was a correct version of the kit offered later in 1952 on but K-F never picked it up for dealer sale.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
Jack, I wish I could remember the gentleman's name  who Del F asked to speak at the meet we had here 10 years ago. He worked for KF and explained that part of his job was to go to the dealers and convert the remaining cars on the lot (1951 K / HJ) to Virginians and Vagabonds respectively.  He said if he didn't have the parts in his trunk stock or if the dealer didn't have them in stock, the cars may not have gotten a Continental Kit. It makes sense.  When I see Del again, I'll ask him the fellow's name. He was very interesting to speak with - I don't know if he is still with us or not.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
I found this picture on the H.A.M.B. board.  It looks like a '52 Vagabond with "V" broken off the script.  Lack of tail lights on the fins and dark looking hood ornament indicate it is a Vagabond.  Notice, no Continental Kit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:47:15 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe