Author Topic: Frazer engine config ?  (Read 1510 times)

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Frazer engine config ?
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:24:13 AM »
I have 48 Manhattan. However it appears I may have a Kaiser engine. It has a single barrel carb and no balancer.

I have other extras on the car like visor, spotlight, air conditioner. M

Is this engine one that might have come with the original car or might this have been replaced?

I need to install new engine and considering one with dbl barrel with appropriate manifold.

JT
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Frazer engine config ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »
All 1947 and 48 Frazers used a single barrel Carter carburetor so I would speculate the engine is original. Also, the balancer on the 1947 thru 50 Kaiser engines isn't the same as the larger unit that the 1951 thru 55 cars used.

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:15:31 AM »
Thank you. This was very helpful.
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:01:13 AM »
The 1948 Frazer Manhattan item in KFOCI HANDBOOK identifies that later production Manhattans that model year could be ordered for $55.00 extra (plus tax) with an engine upgrade; it was the introduction of the 2-barrel carb "Dual Manifold" system.  Many of the later production Frazer Manhattans were equipped with the engine and the mandatory overdrive transmissions, otherwise the Manhattan had the same standard engine as the Frazer Standard F485 which was the 1 barrel carb 100bhp single manifold engine as used on 1947
models.

The Handbook CD is a freebie to those who join the KFOCI as a Life Member or regular Annual member (Associate Members do not get this as the item's considered a club publication).