Author Topic: How many Kaisers, Frazers or Willys vehicles have you owned?  (Read 4178 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
How many Kaisers, Frazers or Willys vehicles have you owned?
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:19:11 AM »
Thought I'd start a new thread around the sickness we all seem to share...the ownership of more than one KF or W built vehicle. I know a few of us have many currently in their stable and even more have owned many over the years. So...take a moment and tell us about those that you've owned...a count of how many...which was your favorite...which was your least favorite...and which one you let go and wish you'd have kept.

Me, I've owned something like 20-odd KFW vehicles...sprinkled in the mix were cars like a 51F convertible, a 51F hardtop, a 54 W Aero Eagle Custom, a Darrin and one that until my dad titled it in 1964, a 54 Manhattan that had never been sold new. Also in the mix were lots of parts cars and even a 53 that I drove as a winter beater. The keeper in the bunch was the Darrin...sold to help my daughter defray medical bills...and the car I least liked was the 53 winter beater that supposedly had a rebuilt engine that lasted all of 5000 miles before trashing itself.

Let's hear from you...I'll bet there are some interesting stories out there!

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Re: How many Kaisers, Frazers or Willys vehicles have you owned?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:06:09 PM »
Great post, I hate to admit that it took me too long to get the KF bug. I had Studebakers for years, as well as a Hudson, and 2 Packards. Just this year, about 7 months ago bought my 1st of soon to be many Kaisers, a 53 4-door Manhattan with 47600 miles on it. wow what a great car, I only drive and own the older "orphan" cars, so what took me so long to get one of these, I don't know, but I do plan on geting more KFW products in the future. by the way, as it is with most jobs, the people you work with make the job nice or terrible, the car clubs are the same, and this club is so cool, just a great bunch of folks in it.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
I personally have owned a 1948 Frazer standard and two Henry Js - a 1953 which I've had for almost 30 years and a 1952 Henry J Vagabond I bought of ebay in 2001 (See 2010 KF calander).  I sold the Frazer when I moved out of state and my parents moved out of state. I had nowhere to store it so I sold it. It was my daily driver from 1978 - 79 and I kept it around because it rode so nice and it was a decent car, although not a show car.  Since I was a little tyke I helped my dad restore many cars, KF and non-KF.  In the late 60s we did a 1952 Henry J Vagabond which he made into a pickup way back. We put Chevy 283 in it because we couldn't find a Henry J engine at the time. Next we did a Pea****** Blue 1953 Henry J Corsair deluxe which was painted yellow with green around the bottom. Drove it till it died, it was in 3 accidents over it's career, the last one in 1974 it met its demise when rear-ended by a semi (no one was in it and no one was hurt).
As far as Kaisers go, I remember walking home from school and seeing a green Kaiser sitting beside a house for years. Dad bought and it was the first Kaiser we ever did. We had no idea how rare it was when he   bought it. It was  1948 Kaiser Custom with all leather interior and was in exceptional condition. At that time we thought all Kaisers had leather interior!  Anyway, starting with that 1948 here's a list of cars we owned/restored in the 1970s, most of them still on the road:
1948 Kaiser Custom
1953 Kaiser Manhattan (with hydramatic)
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe (sold to finance the restore of the 1951 Frazer)
1951 Frazer F5155 four door sedan (I still see it at shows here every now and then)
1951 Frazer Vagabond (rough shape, used only as a parts doner)
1948 Kaiser Special (rouch shape bought it to get the radio and engine-parts doner)
1954 Kaiser early Special (badly rusted and bondo-ed. Previous owner painted it with a brush! Paid $35 for it, drove it a while, pulled the motor and junked it)
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe (I still own it)
1948 Kaiser Speical (decent car, bought it from a KF member's widow. Got it running and sold it to Marvin Rauch in KS)
1951 Henry J (low-mileage, highly accessorized car. Very good one, when the folks had to relocate in the mid 80s it was sold - no storage)
1949 Frazer Manhattan (a beauty. Tutone green, I've posted the picture of it in the snow many times on here. It was sold when our interest in KF was waning in the early 1980s)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Low-mileage, all original with hydramatic purchased from an ad in the Seattle paper. Kaiser Bill has it in his museam now)
1951 Kaiser Special (knick-named Lasagna, very sold nice car now owned by Weas)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Very nice white over tropical green, hydramatic. Sold when dad retired and had to move. Owned by someone in Utah now)
1951 Henry J deluxe (the blue one pictured in Last Onslaught On Detroit. Purchased from John Haller in Mpls, now owned by Ted Harrington in New Mexico)
1951 Henry J deluxe (Mariner gray, pictured in the November 2004 issue or Hemmings Classic Car magazine. My dad still owns it)
1952 Henry J Vagabond (cape verde green. Low miles, I still own it)
1951 Henry J (A '53 that was custom assembled and retagged as a gift for Edgar Kaiser. Purchased from Edgar Jr. in 2004. It belongs to my dad but I have it here at my place)
I may have missed some too!  The one I really wish we still had was the 1948 Custom with the leather interior. We  know where it is and may try to get it back some day.  
Otherwise, I find that selling them is just as much fun as buying them as you often make friends while doing so and you certainly bring a lot of joy to those who buy them and appreciate them.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:07:36 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
When KF's were just good used cars I had several. 2 48 sedans , 1 49, 2 51 Frazers and a 55 dragon of some kind. My favorite was one of the 51 Frazers that I drove until it disintergrated @ 389K. My least favorite was the Dragon. After driving the early models the 55 seemed awfully flimsey. I presently own a 51 Kaiser Deluxe. I also have some Hudsons and a Corvair.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
As for me, my first car was a non-running 1951 Frazer F515 that became a parts car for my second, a running 1951 Frazer sedan.  Added to the collection at the time was an early production later series 1952 Kaiser deLuxe; heater/defroster and windshield visor were the only options on the car.  It left about a year after acquisition, replaced by a running 1953 Kaiser Dragon.  The 1951 Frazer and the 1953 Dragon were sold when my father died (we were going to restore the cars together) and in time a 1951 Kaiser Special Business Coupe came along.  That was followed by a 1951 Kaiser Special 2-door non-running, barely restorable Traveler, and a solid but not running 1952 later series Deluxe (with less than 30,000 miles on it, original).  The Special was restored and over time, the 1952 deLuxe was restored as well.  Somewhere in there was, for a time a 1954 Kaiser Earily Special in pieces...the basis for a special project that time and cash never let happen.   I also saved a very early production 1952 Aero Willys Wing from the crusher and found a new home for it.

In the end, the Business Coupe went to the Ypsilanti museum (and is still there) and the 1952 deLuxe was sold early in 2009. 

hollenway

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
Over the years I've had a few.......  The current inventory stands at 41......   The pride of the fleet is a 1954 Manhattan that was brought home in April of 1954.  The car was purchased by
my Uncle as part of his new car inventory at his dealership.  For one reason or another he
never sold this particular car and when he passed away I asumed I would have a chance to
purchase the car.   But as family affairs usually go..... someone else got the car and it took me
over thirty years to get the car back.  When it left Glasgow it had around 17,000 miles on it.
When it came back it had 20,457 miles on it.  Luckily the car had been collector owned ever
since it left my Uncle's and has survived well.   Pictures are at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/74538781lcobyh

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 07:35:25 PM »
Being a used car dealer for fifty years was a lot of fun.  Nice collectible cars were cheap and plentiful fifty years ago and over the years I had over 10,000 different ones.  You never have enough money or enough room to keep all of the nice cars that come your way but I had some great ones.  I have had my 1940 Ford Coupe 51 years this year and a 39 Mercury Conv., '65 Mustang GT Conv. and a nice original '51 Kaiser Dlx Club Coupe over thirty years.  I guess I have about 40 odd vehicles now and they do tend to run your life!  There were many Kaiser's and Frazer's over the years but then they were just used cars.  I had a '51 Kaiser Club Coupe that I probably sold, repossess, took back in trade at least eight times.  I really liked the looks of that car and over the years I had several more of them trading for a better one each time until I finally got a nice low mileage original which I still have.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
Well, I'm new to the K-F world and I only have the one that started my love for these cars.  A '51 Frazer Vagabond.
I've seen some other K-Fs online that I've been tempted to snatch up, but the other half is telling me that one at a time is enough!

John

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
By the time I came along, KF products were already 'classics' (okay, 20 years after their last model, you do the math!).  My dad is an airplane mechanic and we used to build go-karts, overhaul engines, work on cars etc.  My neighbor had a KF collection and he got me into interested in them.  When I was ca. 18 I found my first one, a 53 Manhattan.  Got it running and planned to restore it, but ended up just taking it apart (1/2 a restoration!), and giving it to somebody who wanted a project when we moved.  Now I own a 53 Dragon that is in pretty good original condition, albeit with an incorrect, and not-too-beautiful dark green paint job (it was originally stardust ivory).

I've also owned a '78 Dodge Omni (1st car), 66 Poniac Star Chief Executive (I loved to drive that one), 41 Plymouth (another restoration project gone awry), and several new cars, including my current daily driver (besides the Dragon), an 03 Grand Marquis, which is an excellent car.

I hope to have many other KF products (starting with a 48 Frazer Manhattan) in the coming years, as well some other brands, especially independents.  Thanks for the post, it was fun.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:49:24 AM »
Great thread!  I have the one and only Kaiser product I have ever owned.  We bought it in January of 1992 in Nebraska. I'm the third owner of it and it is mostly original (except for rebuilds to the motor and radio to original).  My wife keeps us financially viable by tempering my enthusiasm for buying another.  Reality has dictated that we limit our fleet.  The usual story about no space, money, time, helping the kids with school, etc.
Ours:
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4d Sedan, Onyx exterior, 2185 trim-Grey Stockholm interior (looks blue to me).
Body Number is               A 4035 
Position in production          56
Item No.                            7
Accessory Group                 4
Original GE Radio
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »
'54 Kaiser Manhattan since '94
'54 Kaiser Late Special since ~ '96-97
'54 Kaiser Early Special since 2007
'51 Frazer sedan since 2007
'51 Frazer convertible since 2007
'51 Frazer hardtop stick with OD since 2007
'51 Frazer hardtop with auto since 2008
All are running and driveable but the two hardtops are undergoing restoration and it will be many moons down the road before the standard shift '51 is roadworthy due to extensive rear fenders and trunk body work pending.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

52AeroWillys

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
I got the KFOC bug while in college. Needed cheap transportation and bought a '53 Willys Lark 4 door. Sold it 3 yrs later for $35! (Had been totaled but still drivable). 25 yrs later bought 3 project cars from an estate for $300...'51 Kaiser Deluxe, '52 Willys Aero Eagle, and '52 Willys Aero Wing. Sold the Kaiser and Aero Eagle, restored the Aero Wing..a nine year project which included adding a modern drive train and suspension. I'm always looking for orphan cars and shows and enjoy going to KF meets around the nation and meeting club members. Recently attended KF meet in Phoenix and saw Larry Barker's collection and freinds. Best car club I've ever been part of!!  Jim TeBockhorst, Davenport,IA
AeroWillys