Author Topic: 51 henry j tags?  (Read 2290 times)

nicks j

51 henry j tags?
« on: March 02, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to decode the tags on my 51 henry j???

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 henry j tags?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »
Hi Nick, there are three tags on your Henry J. The VIN tag is inside the driver's door frame between the door hinges. This tag includes the model and serial number of your car. It will begin with K513 if your car is the standard 4 cylinder model and K514 if it's the deluxe (6 cylinder) model. The first Henry J produced has a serial number of K514-001001 (the serial numbers start at 1000). There are two tags on the cowl on the driver's side. One is the body tag which also lists the model (K513 / K514) and then the body ID number.  The other tag on the cowl is the big one that lists the paint code, the trim code, the DR (delivery region, US or foreign), TR (stands for "Transmission" it will be a 2 if the car did not originally have overdrive and a 4 if it did) and then one called AG which stands for the Accessory Group the car was fitted with at the factory. Some K513 models may not have a number under AG - if not, the car will have no trunklid, no opening vent windows and originally shipped without bumper gaurds, cigar lighter and horn ring.  Some owners and restorers often added these items at a later time. Also, there were accessories that were not part of an AG - radio, heater, oil filter, courtesy lights, back up lights, door upholstery trim and a few others. DR stands for Delivery Region and all domestic cars have a DR of 1. I have seen two from Canada and they have a DR of 2. The tag also includes an "Item No." and "Sched No." which indicate where they were on the assembly line etc. With certain information, you can decode which day a particular car was assembled. I don't recall what you need to do that. If you would like, post some of your codes and I'll reply with what they mean etc. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:13:20 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios