Author Topic: Seat belts  (Read 2358 times)

hxcbill

• View Profile
Seat belts
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I'm looking to install at least a lap belt in the back seat so that I can take my daughter in the Henry j once in a while for ice cream and what not. I've never looked into seat belts before so know very little. Are there a certain type or brand that people like to use in these cars? As of now, I'm thinking just one set of lap belts for the back seat. I have no plans on the front as of yet.

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seat belts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »
Have not got that far on my HJ however on my 57 Chevy wagon I bought a generic set and made flat plates for under the floor. The plates are 2" square X 3/16 thick with two sides slightly rolled up. I will check my computer later for pictures.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
I installed front and rear lap belts in Old Toby when my daughter was born. They were generics that I bought at Pep Boys.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:17:35 PM »
I've been looking at front shoulder & rear lap belts here. http://www.julianos.com/seat_belts.html
Haven't pulled the trigger yet but they're respected by a couple custom builders I've talked to.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
I think it would be very difficult to mount a shoulder strap in a Henry J. I have lap belts in mine but I don't remember where I got them.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:03:55 AM »
On the 57 wagon I made a flat plate with a nut welded on it to go inside the door pillar to mount the top belt. The floor anchor plates are like the ones I made.
This page shows the pieces needed for the 3 point belt.
http://www.julianos.com/retract_3point.html
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

hxcbill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 07:50:32 PM »
Yeah I'm interested in lap belts. Don't think I want to get too involved with installing a shoulder belt setup.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to look through their catalog. Hoping to get this done this spring but I'm also in the middle of redoing a couple othe projects now.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »
They used to sell shoulder belt kits but you had to drill a hole in your roof to install them.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seat belts PULLING SOME PUNCHES
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
I was a seat and seat belt engineer for 5 years at GM.
I was the guy they came to to solve customer complaints, build problems, government inquires and LAW SUITS!!
I was witness to countless tests: component, air bag, sled crash, complete car crash, and so on.
I cannot go into the details of what can happen with an improperly belted "dummy", but rest assured, it isn't pretty.

That said, with all that I have experienced, I would NEVER EVER considering installing a shoulder belt in any car, other than what came from the OEM.

So, if any of you think that you can get a nondescript shoulder belt assembly, and pick a mounting position and technique thru the process of anal extraction, that would properly save you from mayhem at any speed, then get your resumes to every car manufacturer in the world.
You will be able to save them 10's of millions of dollars in design/test/validation let alone 3 years in development time.

Stick with a lap belt properly mounted and properly worn.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:20:18 PM by Terry T »

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:16:42 PM »
Terry, you have a way with words. Anal extraction must be an engineering term used at GM for several different engineering solutions.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seat belts PULLING SOME PUNCHES
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
I was a seat and seat belt engineer for 5 years at GM..........
.............So, if any of you think that you can get a nondescript shoulder belt assembly, and pick a mounting position and technique thru the process of anal extraction, that would properly save you from mayhem at any speed, then get your resumes to every car manufacturer in the world.
You will be able to save them 10's of millions of dollars in design/test/validation let alone 3 years in development time.

Stick with a lap belt properly mounted and properly worn.

Surely you're not saying the potential downside of duplicating current geometry with a shoulder belt is worse than the likelyhood a lap belted driver will do a major face plant into a vintage non-collapsing steering wheel/column even at moderate speeds.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
Classic Industries is where I got my seat belts for both my cars.  They have flip up releases and common button type.  Just search under universal seatbelts.  With their online discounts, your looking at 15-20 bucks for a lap belt.  Kits come with the bolt, and big washers.  You can also get self retracting type.

Classicindustries.com

Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer