Author Topic: 1951 Frazer at BJ  (Read 3829 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
1951 Frazer at BJ
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
Found this from this week's Barrett Jackson Auction:

Barrett-Jackson Lot: 751.1 - 1951 FRAZER 4 DOOR VAGABOND

Lot Number:    751.1    

Auction:    SCOTTSDALE 2010
Sale Price:    *$31,900.00
Year:    1951
Make:    FRAZER
Model:    
Style:    4 DOOR VAGABOND
Exterior Color:    GREEN
Interior Color:    BROWN
Cylinders:    6
Engine Size:    
Transmission:    3-SPEED MANUAL
Summary:    Ground-up restoration.
Details:    This car has received a total ground-up restoration. Repainted in original dark green metallic color. All the chrome is new and stainless steel polished. 226cid 6 cylinder has been rebuilt and runs very smooth. 3-speed manual transmission with working overdrive. Very attractive dash, instruments and steering wheel have been restored. New brown leatherette interior. Car has very early hatchback system with opening lift gates for cargo, also rear seats fold down. The whole trunk area is lined with highly varnished wood.

*Price Includes 10% Buyers Commission
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Frazer at BJ
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
So, your point is??

I know that the cost of restoring any old car of the 1940's-50's has risen considerably in just the last 10 years.  I have no doubt that the seller probably did not make much of a profit on the sale, unless he/she did a lot of the work themselves or were very lucky in finding and purchasing Vagabond-specific parts.  Re-chroming the airfoil alone had to easily run between $1000-2000 if the work was done right.   Also, what about the buyer?  Does the car tie into family history (we had one like this growing up) or is it a car the buyer just had to have?  Did the buyer know of such organizations as the KFOCI and had he/she shopped our FOR SALE ads or checked out other club-generated leads? 

You must remember that auction companies "work" early bidders as a normal course of business...if you watch the BJ auction on TV you see them cajolling or otherwise trying to get a higher bid out of these people.  As with any auction (and often without the knowledge of the auction company), there are shills associated with the seller making bogus bids on "no reserve" cars in order to get the price up...sometimes I have even seen the seller step in if the item is not being bid up to the area he/she feels it should sell for.  At least one of the larger auction companies is under criminal investigation on these shadow bids, as such practices--without disclosure to the other bidders--is a violation of the laws of the state where the auction took place (Indiana). What was going on here, if anything?

Bottom line...one sale does not a goldmine make.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »
Before adding the buyer commission the bid would be $29,000. Unless someone was able to do a lot of the work themselves, I doubt the car could be duplicated for that. (I am assuming there is nothing hidden in the photo as it looks like a top job.)
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
Jack, I doubt if Les was "trying to make a point" nor do I think he needs to to post on the forum.  My impression is his was just passing along information.  Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »
No point intended.  I simply saw this on B. J. and since our cars are featured so seldom at meets and auctions (at least around here) I thought it interesting that there were ANY KF products at the Scottsdale auction.  Except of course the Darrins (2).  I didn't mean to imply that our cars are now a gold mine or anything.  I'm not in it for the potential investment or I wouldn't have chose a KF product for my fun ride.  (Excepting, again the Darrin).  I like the beauty of the car and appreciate it's history and the men involved who took the risk to try something new.  I'm in it for the fun!  Read my post or don't.  Your choice.  Deep, huh?   ;)
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »
Would have liked to see this but everytime I tuned into the auction there was yet another Mustang, Shelby, Camaro, Chevelle, or T-Bird over and over and over again. The auction is not anywhere close to as interesting as just a few years ago.
This was awful at the Russo Steele auction: http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/scottsdale_auction_damage/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:47:50 PM by Doc »
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

KWZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
I turned on the TV right at the moment the car came on stage.  I nearly jumped off the couch!   Looked like a Cape Verde Green Metallic base/clear paint job.  Very nice, correct car from waht I could see.  Then all the muscle cars came back and I turned on the local news.
'48 Kaiser Special
'49 Kaiser Virginian
'51 Frazer Manhattan convertible

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »
Thank you for the information. I find it exciting to see KF cars in auctions and passing me on the road. Its a huberis moment having a classic American built auto in my driveway.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252