Author Topic: Another"Owner improved Henry J"  (Read 1215 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Another"Owner improved Henry J"
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »

This is a very nice car.I spoke with the owner and looked at more photos.A lot of time and money went into redoing a 4 cy.,no O.D., to please the owners taste. I will not go into a litany of the "improvements",but when they cut out the dash to add an ammeter, nothing is or was safe.It's a shame actually.If modest attention had been paid to originality, The car ,with the same amount of money and time spent,might have been worth the asking price.

http://www.reachoo.com/ads/67325416
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another"Owner improved Henry J"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
Ad claims "All original" - I love that term.
If this car is a 4 cylinder without overdrive, it cannot possibly be all original.  Originally it would not have had bumper guards, chrome lip moulding on the hood or stainless bright work around the windshield. That's just he tip of iceberg as there is plenty more that is not original.
None of these things make it a bad car, it's just not all original.
I own cars that are not all original.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
That does look nice, can't help but wonder how much of a beating he's taking even at his asking price.
What gets me, and I see it all the time, is someone asking tall dollars for a car and then post cellphone photos......... or sometimes no photos at all!
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
Back in the day, any 4 cylinder Henry J owner could have the dealer install the front and rear bumper guards in 10 minutes.  Same with the hood and fender mouldings.  Off with the Plain Jane painted parts and on with the shiny 4 piece set in 20 minutes.

Now, changing the windshield and rear windows rubbers to add stainless steel mouldings would have been too expensive and time consuming so probably not done.

I own a 4 cylinder Vagabond and have "upgraded" to chrome bumper guards and chrome around the hood and fender and feel it makes the car look much nicer.  It better because chrome plating the 8 pieces cost $750 in today's pricey quickly vanishing chrome shops. 

If desired, one could always remove the chrome and replace with the crappy painted parts in half and hour.

Yuuuuuucck!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:37:44 PM by Vagabond Russ »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »
This car is the one that sold at an auction for $9,000 in 2012. It showed up on Youtube not long after. It is definitely not worth the asking price but you never know.

It's the same car discussed on this thread -

http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3906.0.html

About a year after the auction, the person who bought it contacted me. I informed this person of all the "issues" and it was certainly not what this person wanted to hear. If the seller is the same person, they  know what it is they are selling and they're not saying much. There are more issues with it than just trim upgrades.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:27:24 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.