Author Topic: Pertronix  (Read 971 times)

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Pertronix
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Anyone running a Pertronix electronic ignition in their mostly stock 6 volt 1951 Kaiser Special? Is it possible? I've replaced nearly every electronic part under the hood.. Literally. But now it won't start anymore. Going after the points today, I have new one to put in. It use to start up all the time before, now... It's turns really strong but no start.
1951 Kaiser Special

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pertronix
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
Have you checked the wire inside the distributor?  Here's what mine looked like last year -

Repaired that and it runs great now.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
That is literally what mine looks like! Are you taking pictures under my hood? :)
1951 Kaiser Special

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:54:14 PM »
Tore apart the under side of the distributor, replaced both frayed wires, cleaned up the point.... Reassembled, still nothing.
1951 Kaiser Special

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
Assuming that you're checking for spark at plug or coil...  didn't say much other than "changed all electricals"

Don't want to preach -- seem to be "know it all"... sure you're been working at it for awhile.... but:

should be pretty simple... good condenser, points, coil...gapped right, see them open/close, have power...should get a spark, or at least see points working.... start with making sure you have power to coil and low tension lead to distributor...  use a test light: light off/on when points open close.. 

Make sure distributor/points plate,  is grounded.

If you static timed it to start, should be able to hear/see snap/spark at points when they break...if not, probably not getting power there... try a test lead direct from battery to coil...?

make sure that you have terminals on right side of insulators at points... (pivot point on points spring) I've put them of wrong side before, grounding them all the time.....just took forever see that. 

Make sure points have continuity.....recently, had a new set of Lucas points on a Healey, that didn't...open between arm and contact area...

Make sure rotor is good, cap is making contact.. pull coil wire from cap, take cap/rotor/wires out of loop to check coil wire to ground, while cranking...

Not seen a 6V Pertroinx.,..perhaps out there, but most electronic ignitions I've run across in past needed 8V, or more to fire...would think 6V system would have to be something special..

Check that low tension side well...make sure it's got power and is triggering...make sure you have static timing close...then go after the condenser, rotor, cap, wires, or plugs... look for "fire"... 

Of course if it ran before, put all the old stuff back on...and try, again......

Must be something simple...get methodical....hope..... tommorrow, do church,.... seek Higher guidance?

Bob L.