Author Topic: 47 Kaiser or Frazer Gear Shifter End (Plastic push-on)  (Read 825 times)

Jerry Wilbeck

• View Profile
    • Email
47 Kaiser or Frazer Gear Shifter End (Plastic push-on)
« on: August 17, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
Does anyone have for sale a 47 Kaiser or Frazer gear Shifter End (Plastic push-on) for sale?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 47 Kaiser or Frazer Gear Shifter End (Plastic push-on)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »
There were no push-on shift knobs used on the '47 Frazer, they were all threaded.  The early cars had a round ball type and the later was more of a peg type.  If the car is a Manhattan, then the knob was color co-ordinated to match the upholstery in either magenta, teal blue, broadcast blue, Jasper green, hickory brown or wedgewood blue.  I'm sure any of them will work fine.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Jerry Wilbeck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 06:45:17 PM »
Hello Fid,
You are most likely correct about the Frazer.
Here are two photos taken from my two 1947 Kaiser Specials.  One shows a bare, splined, push-on shifter lever (which takes a push-on end), and the other shows the shifter lever with the end already in place.  The photo of the missing shifter lever is from a very late 1947 Kaiser Special, and the photo of the installed shifter end is from a very early 1947 Kaiser Special.
I need an end for the one missing on the later car.  I am assuming that the lever on that car also required an internally splined or just round cross-section, push-on end.
Thanks for your input,
Jerry

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
The top picture looks like the metal "sleeve" that fits inside the knob.  If you turn it, it will likely unscrew. It's not uncommon for the plastic to have crumbled away.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios