Author Topic: Aero Door Gaps  (Read 752 times)

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
Aero Door Gaps
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »
Does anyone know what the factory specs were for door gaps. It looks like 1/4 inch, but that seems large.

Thanks for the help.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aero Door Gaps
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
I can't remember reading anything about gaps. In new car photos I've seen, gaps are somewhat irregular. Making gaps even between stampings on my car required extra work. Here's a couple photos after the metal shop gapped mine and they're pretty close, but worked well.

It's now at the painters who also did custom work in the past. Based on his shoebox Ford experience, he thought the fender to cowl valance, and fender to door gaps were too tight and moved the fenders forward just a bit while he's been working on it. He had it put together yesterday for one last test fit before painting. I'll see if he'll measure what it is now if it's still together.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
Painter says he goes for a 3/16ths gap.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
Did you find anything to replace that waxy gray fibrous sealer that goes in the fender / wheelhouse joint?

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »
I was going to use a 3M thumb grade sealer that I have out in the garage.

3/16" is pretty standard for the hot rod guys. On one side of the car everything was wide and on the other side it was narrow. Plus when I reinforced the underbody I levelled the car out and made V gaps (original car must have been sagged). I now have the driver side lined up around 3/16. Today I am tackling the passenger side.