Author Topic: temp gauge reads hot on '53 Kaiser  (Read 2955 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
temp gauge reads hot on '53 Kaiser
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
Hi All,
On the '53 Kaiser, is the temp gauge rebuildable?  That's the last possibility now that I've tried the basics.  Does the mechanical element in the gauge deteriorate over time so that it gives false readings? 
 I've changed sending unit in block several times, changed voltage regulator,  checked wire from engine to gauge for possible bare or frayed spots and it's fine.  I've got a new radiator as well and coolant is pretty fresh.  I've used one of the digital laser temp checkers and the temp on the engine is always normal although gauge reads hot.
I had this exact problem with the '53 I had several years ago and it was ongoing even after having engine rebuilt.  thanks for any advice,   Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: temp gauge reads hot on '53 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
How about the instrument voltage regulator? It's the small rectangular unit that is attached to the back of the instrument cluster. When they wear, you'll see higher readings on things like the fuel and temp gauges. My 53's temp gauge reads hot when the headlights are on for that very reason.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »
You can check both the sender and the gauge. The manual lists the resistance the unit should have at what temperatures. Put the unit, attached to a VOM, in a pan of water you are heating along with an accurate thermometer. This will allow you to see if the calibration is correct. Then you can replace the sending unit with a variable resistor and dial in the resistance that should give you a particular reading. If these check out, then you can look at the voltage regulator, as suggested above.

One can also check the thermostat by placing in a pan of water with a thermometer and heating. Observe whether the full open point is correct.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: temp gauge reads hot on '53 Kaiser- variable resistor
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
I'm not familiar with the variable resistor, where to get one and how to hook up.   Does it replace the sending unit or is it attached in line going to the gauge? 
I'll try the test with the thermometer. 
I've tried using a couple different NOS instrument voltage regulators with the same result.   The temp still creeps up almost to the line but the engine is running cool.   
thanks

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:42:01 PM »
What line does it creep up to?

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:09 PM »
it creeps up, or down on the gauge actually, until it's about 1/16" from Hot line.  There it stays. 

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:49:30 PM »
Why no just consider that the normal reading for a normally heated engine?
Anything about that you can consider hot.

A story from my GM years..
At one time, we had excessive warranty on engines for running hot.
Thousands of engines were removed and replaced for running hot.
After way too many months, someone decided to actually measure the temp of the engines--they were fine.
Found out that the area of red, ie, hot, was too large on the temp gauge.
That red area was determined by Styling, not engineering.
Styling wanted to balance the red area to a similar gauge on the other side of the speedo.
They would not allow engineering to change the red area.
Chevrolet truck conceded and waited for Styling to come up with a solution.
GMC Truck took a stand of "stick it", we are going to reduce warranty costs and change it on our own.
Isn't it a wonder that it took so long for them to go bankrupt!

Bottom line, functionally you do not have a problem.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
Why no just consider that the normal reading for a normally heated engine?
Anything about that you can consider hot.

I have a similar issue with a '66 Thunderbird. The gas gauge sender is brand new as is the instrument regulator. Gauge reads only half full when the tank is full and a quarter full with 12 gallons in it. So I just recognize that and fill up when it gets to empty, knowing I still have 6 gallons or so.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
I'll consider the high reading as normal for the '53 but will try additional tests to gauge and sender as mentioned.  I need additional info on the variable resister however.    Thanks to all for the great advice

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
An old fuel tank sender unit makes a good variable resistor. You can move the arm up and down to get different readings. Test the different positions for an ohm meter reading then hook up between ground and the sender wire end. The oil, temp and fuel gauge all use similar ohms, about 70 ohms low reading and 10 ohms high reading.

mr.c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:04:41 PM »
I have the same issue on my 53 runs

mr.c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 07:19:11 PM »
Sorry about my above post my daughter jumped on my keyboard as i was typing.  I have the have the same issue on my 53 deluxe. Runs on the hot side according to the gauge.  I messed with the timing a bit and and added an electronic ignition.  She runs cooler but still towards the high side of the gauge which leads me want to test the sending unit as others have mentioned above.