Author Topic: Engine Paint  (Read 6916 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine Paint
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »
Hi All

Where can I find that ugly green engine paint that Kaiser used in 53 on the 226?  I am trying to clean her up without removing the engine.

Thanks

Mark

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine Paint
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:48:54 AM »
I'll add to that request - I'd like to know where to get the correct paint color for the rngine in my /51 Frazer Vagabond.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Bill Hirsch sells it by the quart the Kaiser Frazer Green sells for $34.00 , or a spray can for $15.00 . I personally have used his Packard green on my 1940 160, I used the small sponge type brushes you can get at  Eastwood, or Harbor frieght tools, ( cheap brushes all you need ) and very carefully brush it on so you don't get the black items touched. I did this with the engine in, I used the quart, the aerosol is good if you have the motor out. Hope this helps, by the way, B.H. paint is for engines, hot temp, and they are the correct color. Love to see a photo when you are done.  :)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
The KF green that Bill Hirsch sells is for the 49-50 2bbl engined cars and is not correct for the later cars. The darker green that you need for the 51-53 cars is almost the same as the Packard dark green and will work. MG green is real close too. I've also had success with John Deere green. It goes on in a lighter shade but does darken with age.

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
SO -  the '51 Frazer Vagabond is built on the 49-50 vehicles.
Is the paint the 49-50 or the darker 51+?
And - how do I get ahold of Bill Hirsh if it is the 49-50 color?

Thanks,
John

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
Thanks anybody have an e mail or telephone number for Bill Hirsch?
BTW this 53 Manhattan was my wife's car when she attended the University of Texas in 72.  She was the second owner of the car and was rear ended in her senior year (somebody trying to figure out what the heck kind of car this is) .  My Brother in law started the restore project 25 years ago with the frame off, he may have painted the engine at that time as it is a sea breeze green color - very pale light green, not the dark John Deere Green.  It is nice the car has found its way home.

Mark

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
http://hirschauto.com  Contact info:
Bill Hirsch Automotive
396 Littleton Avenue
Newark, NJ 07103
USA
Phone 973 642 2404
Toll Free USA Only 800 828 2061
Fax 973 642 6161

Hope this helps
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »
Gary Michanek of the Kaiser-Frazer Owner's Club used to reproduce the engine paint his number is 636-227-7046.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
51 Frazers used the dark green paint.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
Would a 1953 HJ be that dark Green Also??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
Yes it would
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
I have heard a lot of talk about Packard and John Deere green on this forum, and in the light of the new judging standards it seems to me that neither should be acceptable for full points, especially if the correct color is being produced (by Gary Michanek).  Just my 2 cents worth.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:26:49 PM »
I removed the the water pump pulley and had the local automotive paint store match the original paint. The paint on the back side of the water pump pulley was in very good condition so it was an easy and accurate match. The dark green paint has some metallic in it .

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:59:14 AM »
The dark green paint has some metallic in it?  That seems unlikely from the factory... 
Bill Hirsch advertised in Hemmings (probably still does) and only listed "Kaiser Engine Green" for the Kaiser cars.  Being new, I ordered some and it was the mint green color, which they didn't mention and me being new to Kaiser-Frazer, I had no idea there were any other colors they were done in.  They were good about returning it but it set me back a bit on the rebuild.  As I recall it went on very nicely using the rattle can version, like refrigerator paint, smooth and even.  Here we are working on my motor the first time on our front porch in Biloxi, Mississippi in the hot, sticky summer of 1992. We had to brush paint it once I got the right color of paint. I was on a tight schedule and didn't really know anyone around the area who could direct me to the proper places to do the work. I was really naive.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
Yes, the original KF dark green engine paint did have a hint of metallic in it. Seeing the engine on the porch work reminded me of a time many moons ago when a friend and I disassembled his ancient MG and took it into his basement shop and restored most every bit and piece. His wife came downstairs one day to find most of the car reassembled. Needless to say, she was surprised. After we were sure everything fit and worked like it was supposed to, we again disassembled enough of the car to take it back out to the barn. MG engines are alot easier to carry up a flight of steps than a KF 226!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:45:39 PM by joefrazer »