Author Topic: Kaiser Key Blanks  (Read 3432 times)

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser Key Blanks
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
My question of the day is: Are key blanks for ignition and trunk locks the same for early Kaisers and my 54 Manhattan ?  And are key codes still out there somewhere ? Thanks   Taylor
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Key Blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
I don't know if this will answer the question or not but as far as blanks and codes go, I just take my key to any hardware store they duplicate it so it is a common blank (newer 1951-55 and older 1947 - 50 cars).  The store has always had blank for the early cars and the late ones - I've had both made. If you are looking for a blank with a "K" stamped in it, then yes, that's a Kaiser product and you'd have to find a vendor for it but I often see "Rare Kaiser key blanks..." offered on ebay when they are nothing more than the common blank you can get at any hardware store.
Does this help?
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
I have several key code listings in my paper collection -  never new what they were good for.  Can a locksmith cut a new key from the Code?  Seems you would need the code number.  Is the code number on the lock somewhere or only on that little aluminum piece that came with the key when it was new?
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
Thanks , the main reason I am asking ,is that I don't have any keys.  I have a Willys, but not sure if the key blank is the same. I have an oldtime locksmith that thinks he can make a key....but need to be sure we have the right blank
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »
Yes, Willys key blanks are as common as the KF variety. They used Cole and Briggs & Stratton as their blank suppliers. KF mainly relied on Cole. Any hardware store should have a modern match to your W key and should be able to cut a duplicate.

Most old-time key shops should be able to cut a key from a key number...if they still have the old books.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:12:29 AM »
I found the info I needed . it is Taylor key blank KR07NX ;Curtis 129-llco K1122AR for 51-54 Kaiser locks Hopefully this will help someone else too. Taylor
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman